I am trying out Varget in my .223 Rem Stevens 200 Heavy Barrel Varmint rifle. I had a lot of 60 gr. Sierra bullets lying around so i used them. I loaded 3 rounds each at 23.5, 24.3, 25.1, 25.9, and 26.7. This is from the newest Sierra manual for bolt action .223's. I was using CCI 400 primers. I was trying to find out which load shot the best grouping at 100 yds. and also see where the pressures started. Here is the weird part. I had no pressure problems at any time. The primers all looked the same and the bolt raised the same on the lightest and the heaviest load. The groupings were not helpful due to the winds but I have never had this happen before. I saw that the heaviest load for an AR-15 was 27.1 gr. but the 26.7 is compressed in that the bullet base is on the powder. There just isn't much more room in this little case. I am guessing that Varget is better for heavier bullets and I really like the lack of residue as left by ball powders.

Does Savage have a magic secret that allows their rifles to never show pressure? I think I'll try the Varget in my .308 and see if it does something similar.