Thread: Opening up the ejection port of long action?

Opening up the ejection port of long action?

To take a standard long action and open up the port to allow for the extraction of a 375 H&H cartridge, how much of the port needs to be milled. Is this a difficult and expensive task? Is there a pressure issue with the small shank and larger calibers?

Since the magazine would need to be replaced, is there an aftermarket magazine that can be purchased also?

Case in point, finding an old 7 mag or 30-06 gun and making it into an STW, RUM, 375 H&H size action so as to be able to extract loaded ammo?
    Founding member of the 7MM STW Club, Member Cull Hunting Association, Best times that I had, were/are, fishing with my wife and daughter.

Re: Opening up the ejection port of long action?

None.

I can eject a loaded 338 Edge with a 3.850" OAL.

Getting it to feed as a repeater is a different story. That took a little work. But, I still used a 7mmMag box.

Milled the mag opening so that it would be flush with the bolt face when the bolt is resting on the bolt stop. Opened the front of the mag opening to be flush with the mag box of the stock.

For the magazine, I cut off both tabs. Slotted the front to let the bullets extend through. Welded a floor to the magazine. glued the whole assembly into the stock.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Do you have any photos of the what the action and mag box look like? before and after would be great, after will do.
    Founding member of the 7MM STW Club, Member Cull Hunting Association, Best times that I had, were/are, fishing with my wife and daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by HRstretch
    Do you have any photos of the what the action and mag box look like? before and after would be great, after will do.
    Here you go. It's not rocket surgery. ;D

Actually, all I'm doing to the action is matching what Savage is doing for the mag port on the new centerfeed actions.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...html#msg181788
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Thanks,

I have to get my STW and my 110E 7mag action out and compare them to you photos. If I can get one in the mag and one in the chamber I will be happy. If I need more than two shots I need to get to the range more and I think I could single load from the second shot pretty quick.

Savage has a magazine box for the 375H&H sized cases.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain