Quote Originally Posted by slurpin dog View Post
Biil,

Can you elaborate on how you tune your 505 scale. I have a 10-10 and seems it doesn't always settle consistently.

Ron
The 10-10 is a repackaged 5-10. There are a couple things to to look at.
1. The Vee shafts on center balance must be clean and sharp.They're best cleaned-LIGHTLY sharpened using a stone and a magnifying glass. If they're pitted or beat up either replace the shaft or get a new beam.
2. The agate blocks(bearings) each rest on a rounded top 'dimple' in their towers. The tops are usually painted the scale color. The paint should be removed and the top polished like a mirror so the blocks can move freely and align to each other.

Which bring us to the pan support hanger, it's shafts and the support itself. They're as if not more important than balance shafts and blocks.

The pan support hanger vee shafts should be sharp, the hanger end loops must be parallel to the beam with minimum outside to outside clearance on the end of shaft nubs. The center of the end loop must be centered on the center of the beam. The 'hook' on the pan support should be clean and polished. A pan that seems to oscillate next to forever is a very good thing!

Just a important keep the scale covered and clean the bearings, vee shafts and pan hanger support occasionally. I use rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip.

There are a few other things to look at and or do and correct but with those I those I mentioned your 10-10 should react to one kernel of extruded powder,~.02 gr and be repeatable across its entire weight range.

Bill