Thread: Work up loads at 50 yards

Basic Member

Work up loads at 50 yards

I have quite a few loads that I want to test at the range. I just found out that our range is pretty heavily flooded and is only usable out to 50 yards. Will I get enough information from five shot groups at 50 yards to make accurate assessments of my loads?

Kenhwind
    A flooded range in Florida, what else is new. Our range in Flagler County gets flooded too when we get our typical Florida liquid sunshine.

Yes you should be able to assess your loads by shooting at 50 yards. Granted 100 is better because it gives you an better idea of the accuracy potential at the longer range. If you don't get good groups at 50 you won't at 100 either.

Haha our range here in Polk County floods often as well. bunch of guys laughed when I walked to the truck got my snakeboots and hung targets in the 100 yards anyways.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Rejoice! At least you guys "have" a range in your county ! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Rejoice! At least you guys "have" a range in your county ! :-)
    Amen to that! I have to drive an hour to get to my club range that goes out to 300 yards. Locally, there's only one club range and the chance of getting a membership is slim to none unless a member dies.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Kenhwind
    I belong to a private club in Flagler County FL, membership is available and not really expensive, but there is an assessment because they bought the property, etc. Flagler Gun & Archery Club and its about 35 miles from me, which isn't too bad. Although I have moved since joining I was 35 miles away before.

There is another range in St. Augustine; Ancient City Gun Range that I was a member of for one years, but its a bit pricey as well as open to the public.

I've been down to our range when the trap and skeet fields looks like a large lake, and the rifle and pistol ranges no better. Flagler County seems to hold water, which leads me to believe that like most of FL its just about sea level.