Alright. I'm annoyed. I occasionally stray from my basic love for Savage actions, and in the most recent dalliance, I find myself in a fling with a hot little CZ527 carbine chambered in 7.62X39. The rifle is pretty, shoots well with cr@p ammo and has forced me to start reloading for the least logical round possible from a dollars/hour point of view. After sizing about 200 pieces of new brass, I realized what was irritating me: Look at that ridiculous taper! The round is just begging to be blown out and equipped with a beautiful 30 deg + shoulder! Clearly I wasn't the first person to realize this, but it seems like the time is right. I'm no hater of the .300 BLK but frankly, it doesn't make much sense if you're not shooting suppressed. Why not go big with a straight bodied, sharp shouldered 7.62X39 (Ackley) Improved cartridge, sorta in line with the .30 TC? This round would not work (well) in semi autos but various manufacturers have already chambered bolt guns in .300 BLK; why not do so in a round that does not suck in high velocity applications? The PPC rounds are proof-positive that the basic case architecture is capable of supreme accuracy and efficiency. I submit that a .308/.310/.312 equivalent would be an ideal deer/hog blaster, significantly better than the .300BLK/whisper.

h