Thread: New barrel on the way!

Basic Member

New barrel on the way!

I got an email from James Skinner at Apache that my barrel has been shipped!

This is my first custom barrel. I can't wait for it to get here! It's a heavy sporter contour 221Fireball with 1-9 twist. EDIT: not heavy sporter, light varmint.

I ordered it on Dec. 8th and it was shipped on Jan. 20th. That's pretty good turn around time if you ask me!

Now if the snow and ice just don't slow it down in Memphis.

BW
    Last edited by Ol' BW; 01-31-2016 at 09:47 AM.

You won't be disappointed, Jim does some fine work!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Sam5300
    Mine must be coming up soon, ordered mine December 10th. Looking forward to it

Basic Member
    It'll be sweet!
    Did you get the X-caliber blank?

Basic Member
    I believe mine is a Green Mountain blank. It is the $190 one.

Sam5300
    What's the muzzle diameter on a heavy sporter? I'm thinking of getting a 280ai barrel after my creedmoor shows up but need the muzzle atleast 5/8 for suppressor.

Basic Member
    I'm sorry Sam I got the light varmint contour. I went back and edited my screw up. The light varmint is .776.

BW
    Last edited by Ol' BW; 02-01-2016 at 07:16 AM.

Apache can do a flare at the muzzle end if need be. My recent .338 Fed barrel was of a sporter contour but Jim was able to put a suppressor-ready shoulder on it with an attractive flare supporting it.

Sam5300
    Ok light varmint would be good too. And thick enough for 5/8 threads. Thankyou for measuring that for me.

Let us know how it shoots.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    I got to get the original barrel off first. I got a action wrench from Northland Shooter Supply yesterday. It has a smooth barrel nut so I'll drag out the pipe wrench for it. I sprayed the nut down with PB Blaster last night. Maybe it will be ready to break loose when I get off work this afternoon.

BW

Basic Member
    The pipe wrench work, no doubt. The only problem with it is it will damage the outside of the nut. No big deal if you plan to replace it with a slotted nut anyways. Be sure to wrap electrical tape or something around the barrel near the nut first so that you don't slip and nick your barrel. Often times the nut and barrel will spin out of the action but the nut can be hard to remove from the barrel when done. At that point I use my newly acquired barrel vise to secure the barrel while spinning off the nut.