Thread: Savage 10ba 6.5CM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Have heard that on the 308 barrels. Have read some changed out there barrels and now one hell of a tac driver. Wish ruger would allow special orders to order without a barrel.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Seems like the people who went with the Creed are having the best results out of the box. Wish I'd gone that route ...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowTrigger View Post
    Seems like the people who went with the Creed are having the best results out of the box. Wish I'd gone that route ...
    I'm not sure what it is or was about the RPRs, but my .243 will put them in the same hole at 100 yards. The 1:7 twist barrel loves 115 DTACs and it just hammers them. I have heard that the .308s can be a little finicky, but nothing I'm sure a good handload wouldn't fix. You may have to play around with bullet weights a little bit to find the right combo, but I've yet to see one not shoot after a little fine tuning.

I'm planning to order a .260 barrel for it here in the near future, so I'll be interested to see how that shoots.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    I'm not sure what it is or was about the RPRs, but my .243 will put them in the same hole at 100 yards. The 1:7 twist barrel loves 115 DTACs and it just hammers them. I have heard that the .308s can be a little finicky, but nothing I'm sure a good handload wouldn't fix. You may have to play around with bullet weights a little bit to find the right combo, but I've yet to see one not shoot after a little fine tuning.

I'm planning to order a .260 barrel for it here in the near future, so I'll be interested to see how that shoots.
    Unfortunately I don't handload, so I'm at the mercy of factory ammo. My plan is to rebarrel the RPR and maybe go with a CM 6.5 this time around.

Basic Member
    Good buddy of mine was shooting .7 and .8's out the Box with the 6.5 Creedmore RPR. In the end, he didn't care for the rifle and sold it and decided on a Remage build.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    If I had to choose between the 110BA Stealth and an RPR, both chambered in 6.5CM, my personal pick would be for the Savage. I've been shooting a .308 10FCP-HS for several years, and I've been behind my own 6.5CM for several months now, but the 10FCP is better built than the RPR. I'm a fan of the inherent accuracy of the round, so much so that I want to re-barrel my 10FCP-HS to 6.5CM. It is my humble opinion that the savage action is superior to the (Ruger American?) action that is clam shelled into the RPR "chassis". In addition, it looks like one can obtain proper eye relief behind the savage without the 1.5" rings required by the RPR, even at the stocks lowest setting. There are currently several barrel manufacturers selling pre-fit barrels for the RPR, as well as a multitude of other accessories given the infancy of the platform. it's only a matter of time until a trigger hits the market. I like my RPR, but I'd take a similarly equipped savage over it any day of the week

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
    If I had to choose between the 110BA Stealth and an RPR, both chambered in 6.5CM, my personal pick would be for the Savage. I've been shooting a .308 10FCP-HS for several years, and I've been behind my own 6.5CM for several months now, but the 10FCP is better built than the RPR. I'm a fan of the inherent accuracy of the round, so much so that I want to re-barrel my 10FCP-HS to 6.5CM. It is my humble opinion that the savage action is superior to the (Ruger American?) action that is clam shelled into the RPR "chassis". In addition, it looks like one can obtain proper eye relief behind the savage without the 1.5" rings required by the RPR, even at the stocks lowest setting. There are currently several barrel manufacturers selling pre-fit barrels for the RPR, as well as a multitude of other accessories given the infancy of the platform. it's only a matter of time until a trigger hits the market. I like my RPR, but I'd take a similarly equipped savage over it any day of the week
    Amen to that brother. Once you have the RPR and handle it for a bit you notice the cheap aspect of the rifle. For example, the bolt shroud is a plastic POS and there is a bit of wobble between the rear of the stock and the action area. IMO Savage makes better rifles, more quality and better accuracy. I think Ruger came out with the RPR and the novel design of it and people have been swarming to get in on the action, but I think it's a lot more hype than anything else. I bought mine for $999 plus tax. The price point is attractive and so is the rifle, but I recommend to anyone considering buying the RPR to reconsider and look at Savage instead. I couldn't be more impressed with the accuracy and precision of my 12 F/TR, and it cost me $1099 plus tax - just $100 more than the RPR.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowTrigger View Post
    Amen to that brother. Once you have the RPR and handle it for a bit you notice the cheap aspect of the rifle. For example, the bolt shroud is a plastic POS and there is a bit of wobble between the rear of the stock and the action area. IMO Savage makes better rifles, more quality and better accuracy. I think Ruger came out with the RPR and the novel design of it and people have been swarming to get in on the action, but I think it's a lot more hype than anything else. I bought mine for $999 plus tax. The price point is attractive and so is the rifle, but I recommend to anyone considering buying the RPR to reconsider and look at Savage instead. I couldn't be more impressed with the accuracy and precision of my 12 F/TR, and it cost me $1099 plus tax - just $100 more than the RPR.
    With the Savage stealth being announce, put off hunting for a RPR in 6.5CM until I see the stealth. My Savage 10T 308 is a tac driver and its a solid rifle overall. If the stealth checks out, will be following me home. Just hope savage doesn't drag there feet getting them out to stores like ruger is doing.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

mjohn

Creedmoor shoots

Well I bought one and it shoots fine. A little stiff at first but after 200 rounds it goes like gang busters. No failures whatsoever. The ba10 6.5 stealth shoots better than my ability. SWFA 12x fixed power zeroed at 200 yards and I shoot 3 inch groups at 200 yards all day long. Still experimenting with ammo. Hornady 129 IL, 140, and 143 so far. Next up is the 120 AMAX. Love the trigger. Nothing fancy, but consistent and light. Only other adds are the Harris bipod and the fcs muzzle brake. Did do the 5 round/clean/5 round 60 round total - barrel break in. If I don't blink, I can watch the hit through the scope...need to work on that. Recoil is more a lot more than a 5.56 and slightly less less than a 3.08. It's a snap to clean.