Hey everyone,

I got my first modern bolt rifle couple days ago; Savage Axis .223 with bull barrel (I started with WWII bolt rifles). I really want to change the stock, and perhaps try bedding it and adding some pillars to it (because the internet says it accurizes the rifle)

I am currently looking at Boyd's Pro Varmint (Which I believe it was used to be called Tacticool), bedding that, and adding pillars to it. I watched a lot of videos on how to bed an action (was planning to do it to a Mauser 98) but the difference with the Axis is the separate recoil lug piece and something about the rear tang. I haven't seen a write up, video, or some kind of documentation on how to properly bed an Axis action to a Boyds stock.... Can anyone please point me to that? or help me out?

Likewise with the pillars... Will the Savage 110 pillars work with the Axis? or do I have to get some kind of piping and cut it?

Final question... so I'm really new to bolt rifles (always been a semi auto guy); action bedding sounds like shaping the stock and tailoring it to the action so it has a stiffer fit, and pillar bedding sounds like you add pieces of metal to wood (or polymer) and when you screw on the action to the stock, you get a consistent (or more consistent) torque on the screws. Is that correct or am I off? haha.

I am planning to shoot perhaps 500 yards absolute MAX. Usage... I'd say 60% 100-200 yards, 35% 201-350, 5% 500.
If i'm shooting 100-200 yards most of the time, I'm wondering if it's even worth it to bed and/or add pillars.

Anyways, thanks for your time and help!