Thread: 338 Lapua Barrel for Savage LRH in Mcrees chassis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    what are the factory threads on the 338lm shank? are they the same as the large shank?

whos got prefit 338lm barrels?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simo hayha View Post
    what are the factory threads on the 338lm shank? are they the same as the large shank?

whos got prefit 338lm barrels?
    Yep, standard large shank threads. McGowan and X-Caliber I believe make pre-fits. I custom ordered mine from Pac-Nor but it took about 3 months to come in. Sinman will make a Brux for you but you're still looking at 8+ weeks. Really depends on what you're looking for.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simo hayha View Post
    ...whos got prefit 338lm barrels?
    simo hayha

I went with an X-Caliber, 27" fluted, nitrided, threaded muzzle. Mainly because of the price and that it was in stock when I bought it a few weeks ago.

The X-Caliber has just under 50 rounds fired and is shooting 1/2 to .65 MOA 3 to 5 shot groups, in a McRees G7 chassis with 300 SMK's seated 0.006 from the lands, Coated with TiS2, Retumbo, Fed LR Mag Match primer, Lapua brass unprepped, factory brake.

As noted in another thread of mine you won't be able to set tight headspace with this barrel unless you take some metal off the front of the bolt, or the rear of the barrel. I went the easy route and took a few thousandths off the front of the bolt head (Not the bolt face, the actual front edge of the bolt head).