Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 WM - Reloading how to?

Good info guys!
    I drive a Honda fit, so that might hint as to which die I would prefer ;-), but after 6 years and trying a prius and other vehicle in the same class, I am about throw this POS into the Grand River.

I wanted to clarify my question, it is not a question about $$$ but my question would be which dies would be the proper one for the task. For example do I need Larry Willis dies or lee collet suffice?

I gots nuting against rcbs dies, I have a stack of green boxes. I checked my die stash and I don't have any 300 wm dies. I thought I had bought some from Russ Haydon when they were closing down their business.

FL Size = rcbs or redding body die
    Neck size = lee collet die
    Seater = Wilson

pls feel free to add to this list.

Do you guys use a case gauge to check the brass if it needs sizing/trimming or just eye ball it?
    newbie from gr, mi.

I think you would be well served with a Lee collet die and a Redding body die. It's just me but, with the short neck if the Win Mag, I'd use a competition seating die to keep bullets as straight as possible in the case neck
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    I think you would be well served with a Lee collet die and a Redding body die. It's just me but, with the short neck if the Win Mag, I'd use a competition seating die to keep bullets as straight as possible in the case neck
    I dont think theres any doubt or argument over which dies might produce the best loads.
    But people also seem to be of the opinion, that accurate loads arent possible without them.
    Thats the point i believe Winnie and for sure me are trying to raise. That being its very possible and done all the time.
    Its a six cylinder chevy here for gods sake. It will always be a six cylinder chevy regardless of how you load for it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Id be more curious as to why you mic'd the cases to begin with?
    Was there a major difference in the performance of the 2 when you shot them?
    It definately sounds weird at first but I was going to measure my actual chamber length using a spent case and new bullet. I was going to place the bullet in the snug neck of a spent casing and load it into the rifle and measure the OAL of chamber when I removed it. The first casing the bullet dropped right through and was very loose. The second casing was very snug... Regardless, without them being sized in the first place neither would fit in the rifle so it was a moot process but I still mic'd the case neck because I was curious.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Russmerle View Post
    It definately sounds weird at first but I was going to measure my actual chamber length using a spent case and new bullet. I was going to place the bullet in the snug neck of a spent casing and load it into the rifle and measure the OAL of chamber when I removed it. The first casing the bullet dropped right through and was very loose. The second casing was very snug... Regardless, without them being sized in the first place neither would fit in the rifle so it was a moot process but I still mic'd the case neck because I was curious.
    Well that answers my question, and thanks for clearing it up. The experience you had of the bullet dropping into the case can be atributed to a loose factory chamber.
    But the other case being tight would point to a wide range of thickness in the necks of the brass. Im assuming that all brass was of the same brand
    and hadnt been tampered with by way of neck turning?
    Last edited by yobuck; 01-16-2016 at 07:43 PM.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Russmerle View Post
    was it bullet tight at the top of the neck or did it slide in freely a little and then stop?

Update:
    I could find Forster dies in stock anywhere, I have been stuck in backorder status since I started this thread.
    I finally found a set of forster dies on ebay.

I ended up with:
    1. Wilson micrometer seater die
    2. Forster benchrest FL die and Seater

Thanks LR for the brass!

I am going to seat some dummy rounds with 150g long and check my chamber first.

I going to put on my primary arms 4-14 ffp on it.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    I'm a bit jealous. Been waiting on my barrel for awhile now, and the action to be returned from SSS. I did load up 40 rounds though to break it in with, 180 NBT, and then for different powder charges of H1000 and the 215 hybrid.

Loaded them to magazine length, will start setting them deeper if needed for the chamber, but it's long throated.

I sized new PPU brass with a Redding neck die from a three die gold match set. I don't think I will be using the FL die or seater at all. I'll stick with neck size and the Larry Willis collet die. I seat with a custom competition RCBS micrometer die. Have it set up for many calibers.

Lots of options out there. Use what works for you.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    Update:

I am going to seat some dummy rounds with 150g long and check my chamber first.

I going to put on my primary arms 4-14 ffp on it.
    I don't think you'll be able to get anywhere close to the lands with a 150 gr bullet on a 300wm. I sure couldn't with my 155gn SMK's. The neck is too short and the bullet would not be seated enough. Besides, 300wm's like a little jump.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12