Thread: PTG bolt head and old 110

Basic Member

PTG bolt head and old 110

Okay. Got ahold of an old 110 7mm Rem Mag. I mean the back of the bolt has the slot not allen head cut into it. Anyway, bought a McGowen 28" 264 win mag barrel. MDT LSS XL stock, added PRS buttstock. Finally got a PTG bolt head in. So i take the bolt apart and start to assembly things. The new bolt head will not slide into the bolt body. Look inside the bolt body and there is a notch protruding into the ID. I look at the factory bolt head and there is a notch cut into the shank. So here is my question. For those who have encountered this. How did you solve it? Did you cut a notch in the shank of the PTG bolt head? Did you grind away the notch inside of the bolt body? Help is greatly appreciated.

Take a Savage Accurizing Tool (Dremel) and grind out the bump in the bolt body.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    Done, re-assembled, re-head spaced. Appreciate the feedback. Wanted to see what the collective had in mind. Already had a grinding stone on the flexible shaft before i posted. Always better to check first lol.

That nipple was just there to assure the assemblers didn't install the bolt head 180-degrees out at the factory. The old bolt head shanks had a corresponding groove in it. Savage has better trained monkeys now so no need for the nipple.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I am forwarding this to my friend so he can fix his bolt and give me mine back.
    Great info!