Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: has anyone tried the new Hornady ELD Match 30cal 208gr bullets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Would think they would start melting right out of the barrel since thats when it the fastest. Will know soon enough. Have acquired 178, 200 and 208 ELD's to test out. Loaded up for the next warmer day but probably not until spring.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Gots to read the white paper. Not just the speed, but the duration. Anything short of the 300WM won't get it done.

As Harold Vaughn already covered long ago in his book, tips make surprisingly VERY little difference, even if they do melt off.
    It isn't good marketing to say you are tired of getting your arse handed to you by Berger, so you redesigned your ogives and tails to compete. A little diversion about irrelevant tips and a stab at Nosler's wretchedly inflated single G1 numbers. Then introducing a new bullet with an actual appropriate rating(G7) is much more effective in stirring talk and interest.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Some years back, Handloader Magazine did an article on deformed bullet tips. I don't remember who the author was. They purposely messed up tips in every way they could think of, smashed, bent, ground off on an angle, etc. What they found was that it made no "practical" difference in how they shot. They got some unbelievable groups with those mangled pills.

However, they discovered that " any" damage to the base caused the pill the veer off course.

Pretty colorful fishing lures are designed to catch fishermen:-). The latest, tipped, boat tailed, Gthis, Gthat, catches a lot of shooters that dream of shooting over the horizon, but can really never shoot far enough to have the design take affect.

"Just Sayin" ;-))

That is exactly right Conch. That sounds like essentially a re-do of Vaughn's testing.
    Yes the tips mean something, but really only that.

Basic Member
    I for one am much more excited about the ELD-x line of bullets than the ELD-m, which is essentially a re-tipped amax.
    The headline should have been "Hornady releases new high BC, heavy for caliber long range hunting bullet, that holds together at close ranges and high velocity impacts".
    In my opinion the big story should have been about that and not the tips. I guess my point is that a lot of people including myself see the whole "tip thing" as marketing hype. When in reality the "new innovative product" is actually the ELD-X line not the tips.
    Just my 2 cents - Leo
    Last edited by Londerko; 01-27-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Different ogives, not just re-tipped.

Basic Member
    While it is easy to get caught up in marketing hype, bc numbers, etc, its nice that we have so many options. We also have the option not to buy products we don't want nor need. I want a bullet that's stabilized at 1k yards for some steel plate fun. It would be nice if that same bullet gave me performance in the 3's or less at 100 yards. And explode a coyote when ravaging our chicken coop. I'm curious to try the 178 eld-x and TMK 175. Ive SEEN the TMK fit the bill, but the only bullets ive put through my rifle are Hornady 168 BTHPM, and when I'm not fighting loose scope bases and sub par barrel cleaning procedures, they've shot like a house afire, but don't do to well beyond 900 yds for ME. Like an idiot I let the clearance on the TMK's expire at Potterfield.com, and now I'm not sure which way I want to go.
    Some people want to make a difference in the world. I'm just here to howl at the moon.

Basic Member
    Emailed Hornady if they were going to make a 178 match with the new tip like the 208. Was told it will become the ELD-M. Can't wait to test mine out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Emailed Hornady if they were going to make a 178 match with the new tip like the 208. Was told it will become the ELD-M. Can't wait to test mine out.
    I would definitely give these a try when available! Awesome news.
    Some people want to make a difference in the world. I'm just here to howl at the moon.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Front Royalty View Post
    I would definitely give these a try when available! Awesome news.
    I got mine from midway. They are finally starting to trickle in. The 200 and 208 XLD's have been out for about a month. I picked up all 3 to try out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Any chance they gave you a time from on the proposed 178 ELD-M?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Front Royalty View Post
    Any chance they gave you a time from on the proposed 178 ELD-M?
    All they said was "in time". Wish I had some 178 A-MAX to compare the two.

Basic Member
    My Sportsmans warehouse has had
    The ELD-x in 30 cal 178, 200 & 212
    The ELD-m in 6.5-140 & 30-208
    I've tried the 200 & 212 ELD-x
    Their definitely hitting the shelves,
    Haven't seen any in the 7mm line yet

savedsoul88
    Bass pro had a box of the 200eldx on the shelf so I bought it as they were out of the 208. Started looking into it and I'm gonna work up some loads with varget and re17. This is for my 20 inch 308, if I can find a node somewhere at at least 2500fps the ballistic chart for these rounds looks pretty good. Picking up powder tomorrow and brass is in the tumbler tonight so hopefully Friday I will get to report back on how they do.

Basic Member
    Please provide a range report if you would please. I picked up a couple boxes along with the 208's a few weeks later. Loaded up a series of the 208's waiting for good weather to hit the range. My 178's come in and messed up my plans. So reloaded a batch of the 178's. Since my 10T is already zero'd with 178 match, figure I will do these first. I use varget only so am interested in your varget loads.

Basic Member
    Shot the 178 XLD's today. Nice. Only at 100 yards. Compared to 178 match I have a load developed for, the XLD needed 0.2 grains more (43.7-match, 43.9-XLD) to attain the same good grouping.

Basic Member
    Has anyone tried any of the XLD bullets at 1000 yards and compared them to other bullets? Will be trying them later @1000 yards later this spring having 178, 200 and 208's. Just wondering if anyone was getting good performance with these.

savedsoul88
    Got tied up on a truck haven't gotten a chance to go out yet, just finished prepping 250 cases and loaded some increments to test to see where I hit pressure signs. I'll be going to the range tomorrow to start testing, I'll put a range report after tomorrow. It's gonna be with rel17 and the 208 eld match. From there I'll do the 200 eldx and some varget testing, hopefully I have a solid load for both and test them at 1000 later this week. Tomorrow will be out to 500 yards

Basic Member
    Do you have any other bullets to compare against the hornady's? Reloader 17? Hornady reload book show RL-15 but not 17.

savedsoul88
    Quick report, I will post pictures and other stuff when I get home, here's the load I settled on, 47.2 gr of reloaded 17, 208 gr eld match, Fgmm brass, cci 200 primers, .010 off the lands ,trim to length and basic prepping. This load put me at 2638 average with a SD of 8.9. I shot a 47.9 load and had a small extractor mark but no other pressure signs, I probably could have upped this and maybe even got a faster load but 2638 is fast for a 208 and it being a safe load and shooting well I stopped on that. Maybe I'll try to push it later but I don't see the point, this keeps me super sonic till like 1500 yards and gives me about 1000lbs at 1000 yards. The load shot very well at all distances, I shot a group with some FGMM 175 and a group with the 208 load on each target at 200, 300, 400, and on steel at 500. Most over a chronograph to . I will say you can tell the difference in the recoil between that 208 and the 175, but it's very cool to be able to get those results out of a 308.

All of this was shot out of my 20invh 1-10 5r savage, stock barrel stock action, swfa 12x, mcmillian stock. This was shot off front and rear bags

I'll probably start the 200grn eldx rounds at about 47.8gr and see what I get. Hopefully I'll get to 1000yards soon with it

Basic Member
    Awesome to hear. Thanks for the report. I have a batch loaded of the 208's but wanted to get the 178's out of the way and find a good group to load from. For my 24 inch bull barrel, 5R, bone stock 10T, settled at 43.9 gr of varget with 2720 reading my chrono. I have a swfa 20x on mine (came from my 50BMG i no longer own). Want to wait until my Drake chassis comes in before trying the 208's. Will be trying 1000 yards around the end of march. Going to be fun. Thanks again. Don't forget the pics.

Basic Member
    You might want to weight some of your 208 XLD's. Just weighed 15 out of a box. Lowest was 207.94 and highest was 208.48. Weighed on a gempro 250. Only 2 weighed the same at 207.94 and 208.10, the rest were all different between the range I listed. For a match bullet would have thought they would be tighter to 208.00 +-.05. Or am I asking to must for a match round?
    I emailed Hornady with the weights of the 15 I did to see what they have to say. Lengths of these are different too.
    Last edited by bearcatrp; 03-01-2016 at 08:16 AM.

Basic Member
    Have you weighed many bullets? Because less than 1 grain is an awesome spread. Some can be in the 1grn to 2 grn spreads and even then they don't really effect the performance. hat you found is very good news.

savedsoul88
    Ya that spread weight is pretty darn good, as for the length, I measure from the base to ogive and do most of my measurements that way, the only time I go to the tip is for magazine length checking. From what I found base to ogive out of the 20 I measured when I opened the box they were spot on.

Basic Member
    Started weighing bullets last fall when I was advised to check weights due to occasional fliers. Wasn't sure what the standard was. The ones I checked last fall were over 2 grains. For plinking I don't weigh but do for my bolt rifle. So your saying a 2 grain difference won't affect performance at 1000 yards? Was told the opposite from league shooters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast