Hello all,

I have a Savage Model 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP package in 223. It has a 22 inch barrel with a 1x9 twist and Nikon BDC reticle scope.

In trying out different factory ammo to find the best match for the gun, I have had, at least to me, some unusual results. I am trying to understand whether my results normal, or whether I might have a problem with the gun or scope.

So, my primary concern is that different ammo is grouping much farther apart than I would consider normal. However, I am mostly new to the 223 platform, so maybe what I consider normal for other calibers doesn't apply exactly the same for 223. For example, at 60-70 yards, one type of ammo (say 55gr Hornady Varmint Express) the center of the group will be a full 5 inches to the left of AE 223 55gr FMJ.

In another example, shooting at about 90 yards, I dialed in 69 grain Federal Premium Match BTHP and was consistently shooting 2-3 inch groups. Not great, but fully realize that was mostly my shooting. Anyway, without adjusting scope, I shot multiple other different types of ammo (all 50-69 gr). Some would group better than others, but the centers of the groups themselves where sometimes 5-6 inches left, high and left, and in one case 5-6 inches right of where the 69 gr Federals were.

For comparison, I have an AR in 223 with a 16 inch barrel with a 1 x 7 twist. Everything I shot, from 50 gr up to 77 gr showed up in the same general area on the target. Sure, some grouped better than others, and the centers of the groups differed as much as a few inches, but all what I would consider normal.

One more thing. 62 gr Federal Fusions shoot for crap out of the Savage. I even have clear evidence that they are keyholing at 60 yards, even though in a different session at 100 yards the holes look normal. However, my target at 60 yards was cardboard backed, and my 100 yard target was not, if that makes a difference. Also, at 100 yards I would have large groups with some definite flyers that weren't my bad shooting. None of the other ammo showed any keyholing at any distance or target.

I would appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this issue. Especially anyone who has the exact some gun. It's making me crazy.

Thanks,

Alan