Thread: 6.5 CM and 338 LM range report (to be continued)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    LongRange
    if your referring to a ladder test i draw a thick line vertically across the target about a 1/4 of the way up from the bottom...use a 2'wx4't piece of plywood with white paper and use colored markers to paint the bullets...your not shooting groups...you load 5 or so at the lowest charge and get on target let the barrel cool and then shoot 1 round from the lowest charge weight up to the highest charge weight using the same point of aim...so your shots are going to climb as you shoot..do not adjust the scope...the only thing you are looking for is a water line(vertical grouping)nothing else...like this....

3-4 and 5 are the charge weights with 3 most likely being the best you then play with seating depth neck tension primers and possible a different powder...keep in mind if theres wind or your not a pretty good trigger man the test will not be accurate....ladders IMHO are for bench rest guys and F-class shooters that have rebarreled and are using the same components not so much for a guy new to reloading but give it a try and post the results.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    i do the same thing in regards to the primer pockets except the pushing with a punch part...i seat all my primers by hand and if they just slide in with no resistance i tap the head on my bench and if it starts to back out i toss it if the primer holds i mark the case shoot it and toss it after that firing.
    I used to go for the 1 more time approach also. I also know guys who smear some super glue around the primer.
    But none of our large capacity guns are on Savage actions. Therefore a scarred bolt face isnt an easy fix.
    Brass is expendable, and simply adds to the cost of using those type cartridges when using max loads.
    As for the 338 cartridges, they should be considered hunting cartridges and not target cartridges.
    You will not find serious long range target shooters using any 338s. I personaly would be very happy with a half minit
    of angle group with a 338 Lapua or any large capacity case. I would also be shooting 3 shot groups and not 5 with any of the large capacity cases.
    Whats to prove by it anyway unless your competing.
    I have friends who are now mostly ex long range target shooters. Ive picked up some good tips from them which would be helpful if i remember
    to use them. One is to use various colored sharpies to color the primer for the amount of times the case has been fired. That way you know at a glance
    what ammo your looking at.