As noted in another thread, I recently got my hands on an Apache barrel in .338 Federal. It's a chrome-moly tube and came with the bluing applied over a machine finish. But this gun was destined for an Axis, and a blued finish just wouldn't match. I dug into my supply of rattlecans and grabbed an old can of Dupli-Color Low Gloss Black Engine Enamel (DE1634).

After degreasing and bringing everything up to room temperature (it's been unexpectedly seasonably cold), I was ready. The barrel sat for 24 hours before installation, and I think it's more or less a pretty good match. The texture of the substrate was different, and this was transmitted through the finish. Blasting would have been better choice.

It came out pretty nice. I look forward to getting the gun fully assembled and onto the range. It should make a nice woods rifle. The barrel is a 20" magnum contour with 5/8-24 threads and a heavy shoulder. Currently it has the cheap muzzle brake from Maxis, which I found has an aperture of 0.4". It's way too wide for a .338, but it should help absorb some recoil. It's still the host to my first shim and trim trigger job. The scope will eventually be a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm. I've not decided if I want to try to revisit my previous attempts at fiberglassing the factory stock, but I'd like to try to keep it as light as possible.