Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FTF after removing bolt

( PS winnie the accutrigger was out well before the x mark pro from big green and was their attempt to catch up.)
    That was my thoughts
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Berserker
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Lotta folks dissing the trigger but I'm thinking it's possibly the ammo. t.
    Corlokt isn't premium ammo, but a lot of it is shot every year. Not some odd ball. I have never heard they have hard primers. Even if they did, it has been around so long, probably killed more deer then any other, so the gun should be able to handle it.

458MinMag
    As mentioned numerous times, you need to check the firing pin protrusion and make sure that the bolt is cleaned and lubed. There is a good pictorial in the FAQ section on setting the firing pin protrusion. I think another possibility is that it has excessive headspace, or the Remington ammo may be on the short side of the spec.
    Last edited by 458MinMag; 12-15-2015 at 08:37 AM. Reason: auto fill errors

Basic Member
    99% sure this is a trigger problem. Well, not problem, but incorrect operation. It's extremely common.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Can you simply remove the front trigger, without other changes?
    Yes. pull the pin that the trigger pivots on and remove the silver "blade". Replace the pin.

Disagree. If the gun doesn't fire when the trigger is pulled backwards, something is wrong.
    Correct. What is wrong is that 99% of Savage trigger issues stem from people not pulling straight back to disengage the sear safety. Kinda like blaming a door for not opening when you push it and there is a sign stating "PULL".

Like I said, the Rifle Basix should serve you well.
    More shooting, less typing.

Berserker
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Correct. What is wrong is that 99% of Savage trigger issues stem from people not pulling straight back to disengage the sear safety. Kinda like blaming a door for not opening when you push it and there is a sign stating "PULL".

Like I said, the Rifle Basix should serve you well.
    I am not denying I may have pulled to the side, and need to correct. I do that with handguns, and have been paying attention to it for a few years.

But, a gun should go off. You should not have to train yourself or be aware for a firearm to discharge. You should have to, to improve your shot, but not to get it to shoot.

If it is possible to pull a trigger, and not have it go off, I say it is a poor design. You can compensate for the poor design, and get good at compensating, but it is still a poor design.

I don't care on my 243, I probaby won't deer hunt with that, maybe coyote. But my 30-06 is for deer and bear, and I would hate to miss my chance.

I do practice, I fired around 40-50 rounds that day.

Berserker
    I bought this model because I heard how good the accutrigger is. Should have just bought cheaper one and put after market trigger in.

Basic Member
    Me thinks I smell a troll

Berserker
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Me thinks I smell a troll
    Why, because I like reliability? You think I am making this up?

The accutriggers are talked about alot, it is why I bought the gun, and price was good.

Either way thanks to the people for the help, I would not have thought of this.

Basic Member
    No, because we have explained how they work, easy solutions to your possible and reasonable objections and offered suggestions unrelated to the Accutrigger and yet you always seem to come back to a statement that they are unreliable or something very close to empty product bashing. It's not necessary.

Not everyone likes the Accutrigger. It is not perfect. It is good. It enables the company to offer a user-friendly adjustable trigger that satisfies the lawyers.

I hope I am not being unfriendly. You might just be a funny crank that means no harm, just poking harmless jabs at something he doesn't care for. (As demonstrated by your jab at the venerable 1911) I get that. :) If so, I apologize.

Berserker
    I am not trying to be funny. If the trigger doesn't work from the factory I consider that a bad design.

I will try some of the work arounds. First just remove the front trigger. I will not consider technique as a fix to the gun.

Like I said I am big into reliability. I have 44 spcl and j frame. I do have 10/22 but that is more for plinking or nothing that would matter if it failed. I have modified it too, for performance, not reliability.

I am reloading right now. I was going to load it for that gun, but I am going to do full length sizing in case I don't stay with this gun.

Basic Member
    The Accutrigger , from the factory, works as designed. We have yet to determine whether you are having a different issue (unrelated to the trigger).

I have nothing else to offer.

If the sear falls and it is caught by the Accurelease then it works as designed. I would consider that working. If the operator does not understand how to operate the trigger it has nothing to do with the trigger. Now the happy meal...that is bad design.

Berserker
    It shouldn't be hard, take practice, or understanding to operate a trigger.

It shouldn't be hard, take practice, or understanding to operate a trigger.
    I beg to differ. It should take practice and understanding to operate a trigger. Guns can kill if not being operated by someone who is not being deliberate when they fire a weapon. Firearms are a dangerous tool in the wrong hands and I have seen plenty in the wrong hands.

The premise behind the accutrigger was to keep people from hurting themselves or others. As with all safe designs in any industry it takes deliberate motion and actions to perform a function. Much like the safety button on many saws. All new automatic cars require you to be applying pressure on the brake when you shift gears.

If you are in a battle situation then the Accutriggers safety design is useless and in that situation I agree. But for inexpensive over the counter rifle that is being marketed for first time owners to veterans alike it serves a useful purpose. Lucky for everyone, If you don't like it there are alternatives.

Berserker
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I beg to differ. It should take practice and understanding to operate a trigger. Guns can kill if not being operated by someone who is not being deliberate when they fire a weapon. Firearms are a dangerous tool in the wrong hands and I have seen plenty in the wrong hands.
    That is a little dramatic, and extreme.

Hooking the trigger as you pull is not an accidental discharge. I did it my whole life I suspect. I didn't realize it until I was trying to be more accurate with handguns, which the effect was noticed. I was being delibrate when the gun went off.

I actually liked the first trigger. Helped me concentrate on my shooting.

Also going to check the bolt protusion, just cause I would like to learn. Looks to the naked eye same as my other Savage. Did not look that dirty. But I will look at the FAQ section and learn what to do. Only taken a bolt apart on one gun before. Probably should go through my others.

Think I'd go back to square 1 and check the primer on a round that didn't go before I started taking anything apart and possibly trying to fix something that may not be broken........
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Berserker
    I'd like to think I would have noticed dented primer. I shoot 30-06 at my camp, which gets few feet of snow. Though I might still be able to get some shooting in

Basic Member
    If the primer was not seated all the way you can have a dented primer that doesn't go off due to fireing pin seating the primer.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Berserker
    Factory ammo though both from the same box. I kinda doubt it, but not impossible.

Remove the Accurelease. If it fires consistently you know it was the trigger. If it still malfunctions, rebuild the bolt. If it fires consistently then we now know it was something in the bolt. If not, change ammunition and if it fires consistently we have solved the problem. Troubleshooting really is that simple. Drama is 4 pages of the same thing being repeated 3 different ways with excuses and denial but no solution. That is complex.

Basic Member
    ^^ ;-)) ^^

Berserker
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Drama is 4 pages of the same thing being repeated 3 different ways with excuses and denial but no solution. That is complex.
    You contributed to the drama.

We are all going to die if I don't squeeze this trigger correctly.

Berserker
    Shot about 75 rounds of 30-06 this fall. Last night the 116 failed to fire. Fired a few more no problem. WLR primer on handloads, with a dent. Last time was factory Coreloct.

I have spent alot of time cleaning barrel. I have not taken bolt apart. Have wiped it down. Last time it failed it did not have this much shooting time on it, so not sure if dirt is an issue or not. New springs or cleaning or new bolt and be done with it?

My MK85 has become my backup rifle for deer season. That thing does shoot well.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast