Thread: Is my barrel nut undersized?

Basic Member

Is my barrel nut undersized?

I picked up a stainless barrel nut from the classifieds a while ago to use on my long action build. Got my 25-06AI barrel and when I went to do a test fit tonight it appears that my barrel nut may be undersized. As I slid it down the barrel to install it stopped on the taper well short of the threads. Barrel is duracoated so I thought that might be the issue. Rather than trying to force it and self-clearance the coating, I decided to measure first.

Barrel shank measures as it should - 1.055" - across the top of the threads.

Inside dimension of the nut measures .040" smaller - 1.015".

I also measured the barrel shank right in front of the threads and got 1.035".

I know that I am measuring different dimensions between the nut and barrel threads. That's why I measured the barrel right in front of the threads as well to see if the nut would even fit over that dimension.

I don't have any other barrel nuts to compare too unfortunately and would rather not bugger up the nut or barrel in the name of stupidity.

Any chance someone can measure a nut or nuts for me and/or provide sage advice on what I experienced?

Thanks for the help.

It doesn't slide down the taper, it installs from the threaded end. Screw the nut onto the threads.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Funny. Rookie mistake! Thanks for the education.

I was gonna move the thread to the humor forum but I didn't wanna hurt your feelings.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Wouldn't have hurt my feelings!

I blame it on to much multitasking. Between fixing dinner, managing the 3 year old, and test installing my first barrel to action something had to give.

Ya live and learn, nothing wrong with that!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage
    No worse than sending in an action to get checked out because the trigger wouldn't cock. Come to find out I had the bolt handle on the wrong side. It was a lefty action and I had been working on righty actions. Some days are better than others. You would have to have been there to appreciate it.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    That was kinda funny.
    Well, if you have a sense of humor it was DANG funny.
    The BEST, hardest and most satisfying laughs are when you're really laughing at yourself.