Thread: 6.5 CM ladder/ ocw work up and range results

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    LongRange
    Just to be clear doc...you were getting 100fps extreme spreads?

Team Savage
    Yes that is what I said. I had at least 9 errors so some of the columns were short. There was at least one weird low number in each charge column which skewed the results but even if I take those out it only improves from the mid 90's to mid 60's. Also I wasnt real good on waiting between strings as I should have so Im sure the barrel heated a bit over the 55 rounds. I did wait but not near long enough which is backed up by bad data. Dont know why so many errors though. I thought first maybe it was too close so I moved it further back between 100 and 300 groups. Also raised it up so that the bullet was passing closer to the sensors. you can see in the picture how I have it set up. What do you think on distance? Maybe bad battery. Its a head scratcher for sure.

It did cause me to pull up my data book and look at the averages from some of the store brands and the winchester brand was a lot faster so I have to bring up the charge. At the same temp and atmospheric conditions the winchesters were moving at an average of 2758, where as my fastest load averaged a meager 2732. Also the accuracy of the highest charge I loaded went way down at 300 yards to 1.34 moa.

I have some hand loads from chad in texas that had single digit ES but accuracy was also low. The average speed of those loads were 2769 at 85 degrees but only shot 1 moa. The length of those cartridges were .006 shorter than sammi minimum. Either way, Im going to bump up the load and do it all over again keeping in mind that low end node. And I think Im comfortable calling it an accuracy node.

Beside the crazy velocity spread I thought I had some impressive groups at 300 anyhow. How long would you say I should wait between strings?

off the subject but just found out today that the 20 moa rail for my build gun was not found so we will have to get one sent from Canada. oh well.

LongRange
    http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspa...ons/4529817134

Another thing id suggest is to use smaller dots or squares for your targets...a 2" square is hard to hold the same point of aim on.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspa...ons/4529817134

Another thing id suggest is to use smaller dots or squares for your targets...a 2" square is hard to hold the same point of aim on.
    I learned years ago while shooting a bow that if I want to shoot small I have to aim small. I normally shoot 1" squares but I aim at the corners, this gives me a defined aiming point. Your mileage may vary.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
    I learned years ago while shooting a bow that if I want to shoot small I have to aim small. I normally shoot 1" squares but I aim at the corners, this gives me a defined aiming point. Your mileage may vary.
    I use 3/4" dots for load development then switch to 1/2" dots to fine tune...i dont know why but its easier for me to hold on a dot than a square.