Quote Originally Posted by schnyd112 View Post
That is a sexy looking case all formed up. Excited to hear what kind of velocities you end up getting. You think something got screwed up when you disassembled your bolt to find throat length? Or is it just trying to find a good place to set your shoulder? I should know by tomorrow evening if I need to be at work this weekend. I will let you know when I find out. Got a bunch of swift/.45/.357 loaded up and it's burning a hole in my pocket.
no...everything is good with the bolt...i set my firing pin protrusion short-er than most...once i find a load that shoots i adjust the FPP in the field by shooting groups and adjusting lighter each group until i start getting FTFs then i give it a quarter turn back(longer)and most times im set...if i get another FTF i will adjust it a quarter turn longer again and its set...i dont have an exact way to measure the protrusion but using calipers its right at .028 .030.
i have found a lighter strike seems to keep things more consistent but as you know my brass fits snug in my chambers and i run a little higher pressures.

let me know if you can make it out....ive got 76 more cases to form and your welcome to get in on the fun LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
LR.....
Are you sure you didnt just copy one of my range trips.....sounds exactly like stuff that happens to me lol.
Those blown out shoulders do look pretty good.....looking forward to see your results. So....about 6-7% increase in capacity.....
Scooter
the gain was/is right in between 5.5% and 5.6% after the first firing and the shoulders are much sharper than i had expected so im not sure if theres going to be and increase after the second firing or not...i will re-weigh with H2O but im not really expecting much more...im pretty happy with 5.5% and i think with the right combo i can easily get where i want to be.

and yes it was a special first time out with the AI LOL...i have enough crap in my range bag to completely strip and put a rifle back together but forgot the cleaning rod...i KNEW i was going to need it thats the bad part and like i said .003 neck tension is no where near enough to fire form cases...lesson learned...im going to run the other 76 cases through my lee collet die with the .258 mandrel which puts the NT right at .007(the james bond mandrel)an ill try to run the extractor as its kind of a PITA running the rod down the barrel every time LOL!