Thread: Anyone else hate most prefit barrel offering?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Custom is custom after all. The market drives what the distributors stock because they can move it. If they could move the barrel you want they would stock it. You could do a group buy.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

SAGE RAT DELETER

Wink

I don't see your logic...contours and lengths are governed by barrel OD, caliber and legalities and there are only so many contours available reasonably...besides every barrel maker/provider will cut whatever profile you want if you give them the dimensions and more money....most contours are "standardized" anyway and most shooters have their own likes/dislikes...plus ditto on most of the already mentioned reasons...but each to his/her own. I've been playing with Savages since they first came out and I have a stack of barrels just sitting around waiting. I wouldn't sell them because some are well used, some I just like and many are wildcats and NO ONE would give me the cost of the barrel, dies and reamers. I went "nutless" long ago also because it is much easier to set up a barrel, mill on a flat and use a crescent wrench like we did way back in my benchrest days with rem's.You DON'T have to muck about with a headspace gage except during initial chamber cutting...then witness mark. Most of my "aftermarket" barrels I did can be locked on with just a snap of the wrists...getting of needs a couple of wrench's. I've used just about every barrel maker's barrels on my 5 Savage actions but I like McGowen best because I can usually get them quicker.I'm not sure that ER Shaw supplies Midway...but it's possible...they used to be Adams and Bennett...but who knows for certain and that is time dependent also...Shaw supplies lots of military barrels as do some/most of the other barrel makers.You have to be careful when ordering barrels...you can rack up the dollars if you can't do the metalwork your self...I paid less than $200 for my last McGowan...50 cal cylinder, full length. In some cases and calibers you can buy a new rifle for not much more than the cost of a fancy barrel.

Basic Member
    I'm with CE. I'm a Sporter fan, usually 24 or 26".
    My rifles are built for hunting primarily.
    I've had Jim at Apache do a few for me and turn them to Sporter contours. They've been excellent FWIW.
    It would be great to be able to find more "hunting" contours although I do understand Dennis' comments.