Thread: oal worry's..

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jaysee

oal worry's..

Hi all.. Just got meself a 12 F/TR in .223 and will be reloading .. But came across something the other day that troubles me?.. Using the Hornady oal gauge and bullet comparator kit and measuring from the ogive, I measured the oal to lands using a 77 smk.. The measurement I got was 1.835”.. So I loaded to 1.823” which is .012” off the lands as a starting point for testing. This gave me an oal to the tip of 2.259.
    Then.. just to be on the safe side, and for warranty reasons, I bought some Federal Gold Medal factory match ammo. with the same 77smk bullet, to shoot first before trying my handloads. These have an oal to tip of between 2.246 and 2.251 (they vary a bit!) but using the same method with the comparator kit the measurement on these gives an oal to ogive of around 1.864” to 1.867” (again they vary a bit).
    So here be the predicament - As my oal at ogive was 1.835” that tells me that the federal ammo will be seating .030” into the lands??. That does not seem right and worry’s me.. Am I wrong in my calc’s somewhere? Can anyone advise on this.. Thanks..
    Last edited by Jaysee; 10-29-2015 at 04:43 PM.