I'm a fan of stainless steel's qualities but not overly fond of its shine, especially on a rifle. So I had my Weather Warrior nitrocarburized by H&M Metal Processing in Akron. I drove it up Wednesday and they called me Thursday afternoon that it was done. They always seem to do it that fast. I've had several pistols done by them. They do pretty much all the "black" finishes (call it whatever proprietary name you like) for OEM's so I find it amazing that they do my little projects pretty much instantly.

I'll have it all assembled and shooting this weekend so I'll take a few pictures before I put it back in the stock. Typically, Black Nitride makes stainless self lubricating so everything works much more smoothly any chance at galling is a thing of the past. Stainless also seems to be a bit softer than non-stainless alloys. That's also over with. A Black Nitride finish ends up about 70 rockwell or so...

They stress that this is not a coating. It's a metal processing or finish....OK, whatever. In case you haven't figured it out, I'm a real fan of this finish.