Hey all,

So as I posted in the "Beware" thread, I bought this rifle to do a build and one of the first things I did was to install a muzzle brake. I heavily wrapped the barrel in rubber (1/4" thick hard rubber) and clamped it into my vice to install. Unfortunately the crush washer had me needing to turn this brake almost 270degrees.

To my amazement, the vice managed to cut through the thick rubber padding I used just enough to put a scratch about .010" deep into one of the flute ribs

I managed to sand it out without too much trouble, but the finish came off immediately with a few passes of 600grit paper so no doubt this aint no melonite finish to be sure.

Any suggestions how to bring back a factory flat black finish would be appreciated. I'm tempted to spray the entire barrel flat black with some BBQ grill paint or other flat black heat resistant paint ... lol.

Being the amount of money I'll have into this build I'd rather do it right. Any suggestions besides next time don't be an idiot would be appreciated. I already feel like an idiot. I couldn't find my barrel clamp but thought I'd be ok with the thickness of the rubber I was using...

Sounds like my last trip to the doctor ...

I'd like to "restore" the factory finish if possible.

Thanks in advance!