Thread: EGW base & Burris high rings for Vortex Crossfire?

AustinCQC

EGW base & Burris high rings for Vortex Crossfire?

Hey all,

I stopped by to pick up my rings and base and the guy said the medium rings with the 20 moa EGW base would be way too low for the Crossfire. It's a 6-24x50mm 1 inch tube scope. He said I'd have to go with the high if I didn't want the scope to touch the barrel of my 10-fp .308. Thoughts? Does anybody else have this set-up?

Thanks!

AustinCQC

Re: EGW base & Burris high rings for Vortex Crossfire?

Before anybody says "Why don't you put it together, measure, and find out," I'm 3 hours from my rifle and decided to pick up the rings and base while I'm up here. :)

Well since you already have them i guess it dont matter now, but I think the mediums might have worked. With an egw base I have a set of mediums on my 8-32x56 SIII, and on 2 Viper 6.5-20x50's. The 56mm is close, but the 50mm's have some room to spare.

Of course yours has an AO instead of side focus so the bell is gonna be bigger, so your highs may be correct.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

What make rings? Burris xtr rings lows would be close and mediums probably just right.Where were you shoping for them?
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Just compared the bell size between yours and my SIII, and they are almost the same size according to their sites, with the SII being slightly bigger.

So based on that the only other difference is the 20moa on the base, which lowers the front of the scope, so I would say that you are better off with a set of "high" rings.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

I have the same EGW 20 moa base and Crossfire scope in a set of swfa super sniper medium height rings. They measure approximately .355 from base of ring to the bottom of the scope ( the scope is mounted, that's why it's an approximate measurement). I have about an 1/8 of an inch or better clearance between the bell and the barrel.
    Midway list the Burris XTR 1 inch ring as having a height of .5 inch so you should be good to go with the mediums. If they are the XTR's... If they are the signature z rings then the medium will be probably too short as they are shown as having a height of .230 . The high Signature z rings are .420 which should be good to go also.
    Stu

Team Savage

Just to confirm, I have a set of 1" XTR mediums and they are 1/2".

Midwayusa has a fitment chart so you can figure out what sort of rings to buy.
    You need the bell diam and the ring height. There is no part of the chart for
    moa bases. If in doubt I might buy a med and high and return the ones I don't use.

AustinCQC

The rings are Burris XTRs. I bought them from SWFA, so I'm sure they'll be able to swap them out for mediums if they're a better fit. I am staying an extra night for a meeting tomorrow, so I will have time tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks everybody!

Austin since you have a computer with you go to the Burris site and look up the ring chart, it will give you the proper height for the xtr or zee rings with that scope.If you are dealing right at SWFA I'm sure they have the chart right there,they have always been the most knoweledgable people I have dealt with when it comes to optics and mounting.
    FROGGY

Using the chart won't do much good since the EGW is about twice as thick as standard weaver style two piece bases.

My bet is on mediums with an outside chance that low's would work.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

AustinCQC

Ok, somebody tell me if my logic and math is incorrect on this...

The 50mm objective lens with the AO is 2.5" in diameter (based on the Vortex site) and has a 1" tube. This would leave 3/4" underneath the tube. My rings are the 3/4" rings. So my scope would be even with the top of the EGW mount (if it extended that far). I'm not too concerned with the angle of the 20 moa base. If my math is right (and it probably isn't), the angle of the base is less than a 1/3 of a degree (.3199...).

I have two questions now for anybody that has an EGW 20 moa mount, a 10 FP/FCP and a ruler. How tall is the EGW base up front? How much lower is the barrel than the receiver?

dieselten

Quote Originally Posted by AustinCQC
    Ok, somebody tell me if my logic and math is incorrect on this...

The 50mm objective lens with the AO is 2.5" in diameter (based on the Vortex site) and has a 1" tube. This would leave 3/4" underneath the tube. My rings are the 3/4" rings. So my scope would be even with the top of the EGW mount (if it extended that far). I'm not too concerned with the angle of the 20 moa base. If my math is right (and it probably isn't), the angle of the base is less than a 1/3 of a degree (.3199...).

I have two questions now for anybody that has an EGW 20 moa mount, a 10 FP/FCP and a ruler. How tall is the EGW base up front? How much lower is the barrel than the receiver?
    EGW makes 2 different 20 moa bases. The standard (cheap one) with interupted slots is much taller than the HD version (solid slots). The front of the standard base is approx. .400" from top of receiver to the top of the rail, the HD base is a little thinner - maybe .300-.325"

AustinCQC

It fits perfectly!! I put it all together with the medium rings and had plenty of room under the the AO! Thank you SWFA!

Oh...for anybody that thought about getting a Vortex - DO IT!! I'm very impressed with this Crossfire! Very audible clicks on both turrets...crisp lenses...and a fully transferable lifetime warranty!!

Wait till you get your hands on a viper! I'm really afraid to take a look at the Razor.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

AustinCQC

I'M afraid to look through one of the Viper PST!! I can't imagine looking through the razor!

HEAD*HUNTER

im in the same boat....egw 20moa hd base and a konus m30 4.5-16x40mm, and im getting burris ext rings....im thinking the low will work from reading this thread. am i right..??

If you mean XTR yes they will work.
    FROGGY

HEAD*HUNTER

Thanks that what i meant..!

HEAD*HUNTER

just for info purposes, EGW 20moa base, Burris XTR low rings, 40mm scope, on a 10PC, i have about a .250+ between the scope and the barrel....if anyone wants an exact measurement just let me know...