Hello, First post so if its in the wrong area, let me know please.Model 12 Low Profile Varmint receiver stainless, Shilen 6.5 Creedmoor Stainless select ultra match barrel 1-8; 4 ratchet rifling .805 at the muzzle, precision barrel nut and recoil lug from Jim at Northland, B&C Medalist M40 stock, Rifle Basix Sav 1 trigger and have a PTG fluted bolt and bolt face on the way. Budget minded build that is getting more pricey than originally expected.
I head spaced with the go gauge from PTG, ejector and extractor removed for head spacing. All seems to be good there. Closes on the go with very little resistance and does not close on the no go. Measured with Hornady OAL gauge and modified case and the COAL touching the lands is 2.6405 (using a pulled winchester match 140gr HPBT from the box I bought). COAL of the Winchester Match ammo I have is 2.800. Do I need to adjust the headspace for the bullet to be 10 or 20 thou off the lands or will jamming the lands by .195 be acceptable? seems very extreme (and pressure dangerous) to me. This is my first savage lets not forget that part. Remmy 700 243 bull barrel and load at .020 off the lands is my go to for now until I get this squared away.