Thread: stevens

brock2013

stevens

How can I adjust the trigger on it. I looked in the FAQ's but the exqmple there is diferent than mine

Re: stevens

you need to find an older trigger and swap it with yours.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

The stock trigger can be made quite decent by replacing the L shaped wire trigger return spring. It is found outside on the right side of the trigger. The factory wire is entirely too heavy. Adjusting it light enough to get a good pull will usually leave the trigger unsafe in a bump. Most people use music wire of about .040 to make the replacement spring. I got my wire from .243shooter here. He gave away a bunch of wire during the last couple of years. Others have had good luck using the wire off a spinnerbait.

After replacing the wire, adjust the trigger screws. You can get the trigger down to 3# with a relatively clean pull. My son bought a Stevens 200 in .308 Win. The trigger pull was off the scale and very gritty with a long takeup. Using the above steps, the pull is now a clean 2.75#.

Wtex

Thanks for the tip. Have no idea how heavy my Stevens trigger pull is but it is affecting my accuracy. Will take mine
    apart and see if I can find that spring you talk about.

Basic Member

The secret to a safe trigger is to keep enough tension on the lighter wire that the trigger won't bump off when jarred. If you can't find any suitable wire PM me and I will send you a piece of leftover wire from .243shooter. He sent me enough to do 10 rifles. :D

Old spinnerbait wire (or new for that matter) will work well. I looked at various hardwire stores locally for .041 music wire and had no luck. Then .243shooter advertised here for free wire for a SASE. If in a hurry, I would cannibalize a spinnerbait with the appropriate sized wire. They are made of good steel.

hailstone

Depending on your location hobby stores selling model airplane construction materials will have the spring steel wire. In my area bottom bouncer jigs have spring steel wire although I haven't measured them for diameter. Automotice stores with spring assortments you may find a return spring with hooks on both ends that have long straight wire ends sometimes called clutch/brake return springs. At one time Menards, Lowes and Home Depot had wire assortments in both one and three foot lengths.

Wtex

Thanks LHithcox for the offer, I'll check my spinnerbaits and see what I have and may send you a PM, only have 1 Stevens. hailstone I'll see what I can find in area stores.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.