Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    What factory loads are you guys having success with in the .223 ? Mine really liked the Australian outback with the blitz king bullets. Apparently Cabelas is not carrying it anymore. Have tried several cheap brands with no good results yet. ( PPI, Armscor, American eagle, IMR ) My Cabelas doesn't seem to carry Federal Gold medal in .223. Anybody had luck with Hornady Black? Chris

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Connor8100 View Post
    What factory loads are you guys having success with in the .223 ? Mine really liked the Australian outback with the blitz king bullets. Apparently Cabelas is not carrying it anymore. Have tried several cheap brands with no good results yet. ( PPI, Armscor, American eagle, IMR ) My Cabelas doesn't seem to carry Federal Gold medal in .223. Anybody had luck with Hornady Black? Chris

There are a lot of people who are bummed that the AO ammo is no longer carried at Cabela's. I don't shoot much factory ammo, but that was one of the brands that did shoot really well in 223. I also heard of others having good luck with it in 308 and other calibers as well. Another brand that you may try that has been getting good user reviews is the Fiocchi brand 223 ammo. It is reasonably priced and also comes in 20 and 50rd packs loaded with Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Connor8100 View Post
    What factory loads are you guys having success with in the .223 ?
    It seems like the 12FV likes the AO factory ammo. If you can come up with Black Hills re-manufactured or Black Hills Gold, ive it a try. I believe it comes in 68 and 69 grain.

I to all who replied about my factory ammo question and congrats to everybody getting shipping notices! Having a cool spell here in the Mid Atlantic, great shooting weather. Mozella, I’m assuming your .308 has shipped. Ours still hasn’t come around ammo wise, bought some Federal Gold medal match and that helped. Need to double check the action screws and scope mounts to take those variables out of the equation. Not terrible but I think 1.25” at hundred yards can be better. The .223 is shooting about .75”. Chris

I happened in my local Cabela's tonight and asked the girl at customer service if she could check on my 12FV in 6.5. I placed my order on September 7th. My gun was shipped yesterday so I should see it very soon. BTW, can anyone give me the skinny on the rebate please?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 423Savage View Post
    BTW, can anyone give me the skinny on the rebate please?
    Save all your paperwork when you pick up the rifle. You will receive a two-page sheet at Cabela's. The top one will be an invoice showing type rifle, payment information, your name and etc. The second one will be coupon page. They will also give you a cash register receipt, which doesn't have much on it, but it does have the date and the serial number of your rifle. I'm assuming that is important too.

The easiest way is to send it in online. I scanned all the things I mentioned above and sent it to them. (Pictures are OK too.) You also need to scan or take a picture of the Savage UPC bar code on the box. It is most likely (partially) covered by a Cabela's inventory sticker that also has a bar code on it. Some said that their rebate submittal was rejected because the Cabela's sticker was covering the Savage UPC code in their picture. I had a Cabela's inventory sticker on my box too. I was able to peel it off by heating it with a hair dryer and peeling very slowly. Pulling it off without doing that is pretty much futile.

So, in short, send in all your paperwork mentioned above and a picture of the Savage UPC code sticker from the box. I think I was approved in a couple of days after sending in mine online.......by far the easiest way to do it, but you can mail it too.

Just got an e=mail saying I can pick up my rifle. No ship date on this email but the girl at the store Tuesday said her computer said shipped on Monday October 16. The last one of these I bought (in 22-250) came from Ipsy's and it took just a couple days.

Thanks Nic for the info!