Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I am not sure a FV is the best PRS gun, but for a starter gun.... why not give it a try.

Basic Member
    Say, I'm a new 12FV owner and have a question. I have designs on using a MDT chassis and would want to convert to removable Box Magazine.
    I saw a post way back in this monster thread about this, and someone responded it could be done for about 30 some odd dollars of parts...all I have seen is a 200.00+ dollar
    deal to convert. Can someone explain what is requires?

Thanks for any help,

Russellc

Negan
    Quote Originally Posted by russellc View Post
    Say, I'm a new 12FV owner and have a question. I have designs on using a MDT chassis and would want to convert to removable Box Magazine.
    I saw a post way back in this monster thread about this, and someone responded it could be done for about 30 some odd dollars of parts...all I have seen is a 200.00+ dollar

Thanks for any help,

Russellc
    I would also be very interested in this!

Basic Member

Thanks for any help,

Russellc
    The chassis accepts AICS style mags, so once you bolt it on, you just need to buy a mag. Magpul now makes Pmags for it.

Basic Member
    its a little more involved than that. The FV has a blind mag, so you need a mag of course, but also the parts that hold it. Some of the bottom metal is also
    replaced as well. I see a kit sold for this purpose, but it is around 209.00 last time I looked. I thought from the post I referred to, maybe Savage had all the needed parts for less...looking at the conversion set, it looks like a flat piece of bottom metal, it has a trigger guard and small lever in front of it I assume is the mag release, then a box that the mag would go in.

It seems there are two different sets, one for stagger feed and one for center feed, which mine is.

Russellc

its a little more involved than that. The FV has a blind mag, so you need a mag of course, but also the parts that hold it. Some of the bottom metal is also
    replaced as well. I see a kit sold for this purpose, but it is around 209.00 last time I looked. I thought from the post I referred to, maybe Savage had all the needed parts for less...looking at the conversion set, it looks like a flat piece of bottom metal, it has a trigger guard and small lever in front of it I assume is the mag release, then a box that the mag would go in.

It seems there are two different sets, one for stagger feed and one for center feed, which mine is.

Russellc
    I think you're a little confused here.

The question was about a 12FV put into a MDT chassis and wanting DBM with it. The chassis (as Tarheelpwr pointed out) uses AICS-style mags - no additional parts needed other than the AICS magazine itself.

What I believe you are referring to is an aftermarket AICS conversion kit designed to work with the factory DBM inlet (i.e. Accurate Mag and PT&G), or requires special inletting (i.e. CDI Precision). Such a kit isn't needed with the MDT chassis as it's already built into the chassis.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain