Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

< than smooth bolt closure

New member, first Savage. I took my new Savage 12 FV out to the range last week, and it shot very well. I shot some factory ammo, as well as, some 148 gr SMK's reloads. Impressive for sight in, and breaking in trip. Some thing I noticed was that in order to get a smooth bolt closure, I had to push the bolt forward, and then down... even on an empty chamber. I also noticed that when I do this the bolt release lever moves slightly forward. Is this normal? Will this improve as I put more rounds down range? And lastly, if this not normal, and wont improve, is there a fix for this? I don't believe this is a head space issue; once the bolt is pushed forward the round chambers nicely. This makes it difficult to maintain sight alignment for a follow up shot. Any ideas? Thanks'

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboblargerobert View Post
    New member, first Savage. I took my new Savage 12 FV out to the range last week, and it shot very well. I shot some factory ammo, as well as, some 148 gr SMK's reloads. Impressive for sight in, and breaking in trip. Some thing I noticed was that in order to get a smooth bolt closure, I had to push the bolt forward, and then down... even on an empty chamber. I also noticed that when I do this the bolt release lever moves slightly forward. Is this normal? Will this improve as I put more rounds down range? And lastly, if this not normal, and wont improve, is there a fix for this? I don't believe this is a head space issue; once the bolt is pushed forward the round chambers nicely. This makes it difficult to maintain sight alignment for a follow up shot. Any ideas? Thanks'
    Sounds like the cocking pin is making contact with the sear, possibly just a little early. If it has the early style adjustable firing pin you could likely adjust the cocking pin and make the operation a little smoother.

I hate rebates! Every time I try and get one, it goes south on me.
    I have been tracking my $100 rebate since they received my form on Feb 20th.
    The day after the deadline ended, it showed denied (non-conformed)
    So I called the rebate center, and after a short hold I was told the bad news:
    Cabelas put their inventory sticker over the factory UPC, I was no getting the rebate.

I fussed a little with the person on the phone who again put me on hold.
    She came back and said that there was no such model as the Savage 12FV, thus my rebate was denied.
    So which was it?

I called Cabelas to vent. They opened an investigation and said I would hear from them in a few days.
    I then came here and found a picture of the Feb sale paper, and double-checked my copy of the rebate form.
    The rebate form clearly says 12FV in big letters across the top.

So, armed with solid info, I called the rebate center again.
    I got a different rep who said my rebate has just been approved.
    He again blamed Cabelas for covering up the UPC.
    They are very frustrated with Cabelas for covering up the UPC with an inventory sticker...
    That doesn't explain why one of the folks at the rebate place tried to tell me the 12FV didn't exsist.
    Anyway, I think it's all OK now...
    Now if I can figure out how to get Hornady to send me my free bullets....................

Basic Member
    Always a pain... I figured out a while ago how to remove stickers from boxes and other stickers using a hair dryer to melt the glue on the back of the sticker and pull the sticker off cleanly. On this rebate request submission, I actually used a box knife to cut the sticker off and mailed it to them with the cardboard affixed. They just emailed saying my $100 gift card is in the mail.