Quote Originally Posted by lrshooting View Post
So how does 6.5 do out to extended ranges, say 1200, even 1500 yards vs 7mm? Your data is solid, im just curious. I'm not knocking anything down here that you all are saying. Just trying to learn to make the best decision for me when I go to order the barrel. I have time to change my opinion!

I don't know if I mentioned it but I already have a barrel in 308. Its never had a round through it yet as I'm just to the bedding in my gun. That's the last step. I can use that out to 600 or 700 yards for hunting I suppose if I develop a really good load, but still rather keep it under that even. Basically this 7mm 300 idea was for playing around for long range. Maybe really long range if it's capable like 1500 yds
The 6.5's are very capable of going to extreme ranges and are just as easy to get there as any of the 7mms. The ballistics are really pretty similar between the two cartridges with the 140's having nearly identical BC's to the 162-168gr class 7mms. The advantage of the 7mm however is that it does have some excellent 180gr bullets to choose from as well and not to mention the newly announced 195 from berger. If shooting 1500 yards or further is your goal then definitely the heavier higher BC bullet is the way to go but the 6.5's will get there, just add a few extra clicks to the dial.