Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
How many shots before you wear out a barrel also has a lot to do with how many shots you take in a string. For hunting rifles, it will be very tough to wear out a barrel to a point where it wouldn't be ethical to hunt with.

The 7mm magnum type cartridges will take down most animals that walk this planet. I wouldn't take it against the largest game, but will easily suffice for anything in North America. Make sure to use a quality hunting bullet, and you won't run into problems.

I would question the range that you plan on hunting. If the range is inside 500 yards, I would look at the 6.5mm rounds, specifically the 260 remington or the 6.5 creedmore.
Well, heres the deal about that. I think im more towards the 7mm-300 for ranges maybe out too 700 or 800 on deer if I cant get closer. But I can almost always get closer so I dont think thatll be an issue. Usually the longest shots I take in a year are between 3-500 yards. But I would like to be able to reach out and touch past 1000 for targets as well. Im a precision nut, but a 6.5 just doesnt necessarily appeal to me. I dont know why, but it doesn't. I guess I like the idea that I "could" shoot a animal that far, but its really not a good idea so maybe its just my mind set that has me on a 7mm 300.

I did read a few benchrest forums on the 7mm 300 wsm vs saum...seems most are rooting for saum. Better life of the gun, less powder, very little difference in ballistics.