Thread: Storing primer

Storing primer

So how are you guys storing your primer?
    I got a bit carried away when I found CCIs on sale.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Egg726
    Plastic ammo can with rubber gasket around the lid and a small bag of desiccant to control moisture. Keep it in a cool, dark and locked place.

Tried vacuuming packing them one time. It ruined the boxes.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Sitting on the shelf or in an old microfiche/card-catalog cabinet I have dedicated to primers, brass, bullets (unloaded) & dies.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

ok dry boxes with some desiccant it is. Thanks,
    newbie from gr, mi.

Okay so I have never thought twice about this. How long will primers last in there factory packaging before they start having issues? I just keep mine on the shelf in the shop in the factory packages. Do I need to start putting them in Ammo cans? I have a few.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

cabelas, gander all keep their primer on the shelf,
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    Okay so I have never thought twice about this. How long will primers last in there factory packaging before they start having issues? I just keep mine on the shelf in the shop in the factory packages. Do I need to start putting them in Ammo cans? I have a few.
    At room temperature they should outlast even our kids as long as they stay dry.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    cabelas, gander all keep their primer on the shelf,
    They might have higher turnover than your average reloader!

Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    They might have higher turnover than your average reloader!
    in my office it is 40 to 50 % humidity during wet season and in winter it is around 25%
    leaving them outside is prudent?
    newbie from gr, mi.

No idea. I was just pointing out that primers would stay on a reloader's shelf far longer than they would on a retailer's. If it's climate controlled where the primers are stored I don't know if there's any benefit to be gained from sealing them up other than protection from incidental spoilage.

I store mine in a desk drawer in my "man cave". I'm using an old government desk I picked up for a song for my reloading. I do use a dehumidifier as the humidity in Georgia can be really bad.

Basic Member
    Yeah, for long term storage in my basement I store them in Zip lock bags with desiccants inside dry boxes.

Maybe take a small box of each variety out and leave on the bench, but the rest are stored for the long haul as dry as possible. I have NO idea if it really matters or not.

Basic Member
    Well for the record i have tried the oil and water test for 24 hours and even tho i only used one primer for each i believe it showed a standard. Submerged for 24 hours and then placed in a piece of brass both fired just fine. It takes a good bit to kill a primer. Primers are tough.

Only tried it with Wolf large rifle primers. YMMV
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Stork
    Just as a point of interest, I began working at a nice sporting goods store in 1976. One of the prior sales people had grossly over purchased a large quantity of Federal 215's. A large enough quantity that in the 14 years I worked there, we never ordered any, and there was quite a few cartons left when I departed. All the primers were stored on top of the steam pipes (asbestos wrapped of course) in the basement. I bought 5000 before I left there, and there was still a few cases left, for the outrageous price of $6.90 a thousand. I'm still using the last of them and have yet to have a primer failure.

In my experience, primers are pretty tough. I've had a couple of dud's over the last few decades and several hundred thousand rounds, but never one of those 215's. It's always been a primer of current manufacture by a US company. I have no experience with any primers from offshore, they may or may not be more sensitive.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    Well for the record i have tried the oil and water test for 24 hours and even tho i only used one primer for each i believe it showed a standard. Submerged for 24 hours and then placed in a piece of brass both fired just fine. It takes a good bit to kill a primer. Primers are tough.

Only tried it with Wolf large rifle primers. YMMV
    nice,
    good info guys, I will leave them in the original boxes high on my selves.

Thanks,
    newbie from gr, mi.

Quote Originally Posted by Stork View Post
    Just as a point of interest, I began working at a nice sporting goods store in 1976. One of the prior sales people had grossly over purchased a large quantity of Federal 215's. A large enough quantity that in the 14 years I worked there, we never ordered any, and there was quite a few cartons left when I departed. All the primers were stored on top of the steam pipes (asbestos wrapped of course) in the basement. I bought 5000 before I left there, and there was still a few cases left, for the outrageous price of $6.90 a thousand. I'm still using the last of them and have yet to have a primer failure.

In my experience, primers are pretty tough. I've had a couple of dud's over the last few decades and several hundred thousand rounds, but never one of those 215's. It's always been a primer of current manufacture by a US company. I have no experience with any primers from offshore, they may or may not be more sensitive.
    Al
    So around 20 years back primers were $6.90/1k?
    newbie from gr, mi.

Stork
    Stockrex,

I bought them a year or three before I left the store. 25-28 yrs ago.

That was my cost with an employee discount. IIRC they retailed for 9.50 or 9.98/thousand.
    Al
    Last edited by Stork; 09-18-2015 at 05:03 PM. Reason: addition

Basic Member
    i keep my extras in the old surplus ammo cans with the rubber gasket and throw some small packs of desiccant inside. still good after all these years!

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!