Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First shots with my new heavy Barrel

rfd12fv

Quote Originally Posted by Russ77 View Post
    I think I will. Will I have to RE- zero the rifle when going to a higher grain?? My guess is that I will
    yep, almost certainly.

Basic Member
    I'm not sure how much a HB Axis differs from a model 12, besides a slightly shorter barrel and .050 or so less on barrel dia. on the Axis however, I'll offer a few suggestions nevertheless.

I have found that American Eagle 50 gr, Varmint tipped ammo (p/n AE223GTV) shoots very well out of my 223. It's cheap from Palmetto State Armory and shoots sub MOA. I use as a warm up load, and as a benchmark load if I suspect something is a bit off, whether it's me or the gun. It is a 3350 FPS load and I've shot it as far as 700 yds. with surprisingly good results.

As for a heavier load, I've found the 69 gr. Sierra Tipped Match King over IMR4320 to be particularly good in my 26 inch, 9 twist varmint barrel model 12. I shot three, 5 shot rounds today and got .298, .315 and .358 MOA results at 200 yds. in light rain and wind.

I've also worked up a load using 75 gr Sierra HPBT and IMR 4320 that shot spectacularly well when temps were over 90F, but fell off considerably below that temp. Nothing I've tried so far has recouped that group size with the fall temperatures. Guess I'll have to wait for summer and see if history repeats itself.

Never a dull moment….

rfd12fv
    texas10, any stability issues with the sierra 75's? i wasn't sure about the smk 69's but they fly good out to our max range distance of 300 yards. love the axis hb!

Basic Member
    Yes, I'm going to go with stability issues to explain my experience with the Sie 75gr BTHP. I posted a question about it, but got no response except to "try Varget", AKA "unobtainium".

In my initial load workup at 100 yds, I started near minimum load, progressing in .5 gr increments. First group measured 2.3g inches, and gradually tightened to a very respectable .190 at just over max book (Hornaday) load.

My next trip to the range with 15 rounds loaded at best tested levels yielded three 5 shot groups measuring .189, .298, .316.

After trying another primer, and powder, I settled on IMR4320 and CCI400 primer as the best and continued to see similar results, until fall temperatures arrived and groups suddenly opened up to over an inch.

Interestingly, I shot Hornaday factory loaded 75gr. BTHP Match ammo side by side with my load and the Hornaday grouped with overlapping holes while my load was more of a pattern than a group in the cooler temps of Fall.

So yes, I'm going with stability issues in the denser air of Fall to explain the change in group size.

Conditions during best groups: 95F, 680 ft. MSL, 29.90 Hg., light winds, high humidity. Temps when poor groups were experienced; 70F - 80F, dry air.

My apologies to the OP if I've hijacked the thread.

rfd12fv
    texas10 - i meant bullet stability in terms of a 1:9 twist barrel spinning a 75 grain bullet with no key holing in the target face.

Basic Member
    Exactly, 12FV. It is my understanding that wobble will not only cause keyhole, but also cause in-flight deviations from POI, with progressive scatter under increasing air density.

Is this what you're experiencing?

Wow what a difference the weather makes in keeping your barrel cool. It was in the high 50's this morning( that's cold for us California people) and my barrel stayed nice and cool all morning. I went through a lot more ammo not having to wait as long in between shots. Saw an amazing rifle next to me on the line.

rfd12fv
    now that, good sir, is a REAL heavy barreled rifle.

First shots with my new heavy Barrel

gonna give these little babies a try. 700 yards here I come

rfd12fv
    'swhat i use, 'cept i roll my own. the sharpie colors on the tips correspond to a specific charge of varget ...

really looking hard at the same gun in my area. the price is 319.00 it doesnt feel too bad but i just cant like the stock. boyds has them for 144.00. the local big chain store has a model 12 in 223 and for another 300.00 it feels alot better including stock.choices.... choices

Got to go out and shoot with my new stock. I didn't see any difference in accuracy but it had a much nicer feel to it when shooting. I'm really happy with the way it came together

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd12fv View Post
    now that, good sir, is a REAL heavy barreled rifle.
    LOL The barrel's not that big. THere's a piece of plastic or something over the barrel to help reduce mirage from heat coming off the barrel into the line of sight in the scope.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    LOL The barrel's not that big. THere's a piece of plastic or something over the barrel to help reduce mirage from heat coming off the barrel into the line of sight in the scope.
    Ugly as sin but they work wonders, LOL.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Nice shooting! Is that the Primary Arms 4-14 mounted up top?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    A few small pcs of velcro on the barrel and on the underside of a venetion blind slat for the heat sheild.
    Last edited by yobuck; 12-15-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotamulisha View Post
    Nice shooting! Is that the Primary Arms 4-14 mounted up top?
    Why yes it is. I'm very happy with it for the $200 price range.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    A few small pcs of velcro on the barrel and on the underside of a venetion blind slat for the heat sheild.
    I talked for a while to the owner of this rifle. He was a really nice guy showed me his whole system. He told me when he shoots out in the desert the heat mirage from the barrel can really mess up the view through the scope. I have never experienced this problem on my rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    I've had good luck with the 55gr Federal bulk pack (100). Seems to be very consistent for factory ammo much less bulk pack stuff
    I've purchased this ammo and used it many times. I like it and it's really cheap but the I have found that there are a lot of rounds that don't fire. The last box of 100 I used had 15 rounds that didn't fire. Kind of a high number in my opinion

This is my best three shot group so far. I wish I could tell you l always make groups like this. Not bad for a $300 rifle

IndyAxis
    Nice shooting! I just picked up this rifle for my son for Christmas @ $199! Couldn't pass it up. I also picked up a Burris C4 3-9x40 optic. What base is that you're using on yours? I've been looking for a 1-piece mount like that. I've seen a Leupold at MidWay for $10? Any others out there? Also looking for suggestions on rings.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/154...g-action-matte

Guy has more $$ in just the shooting rest than I have in rifles!
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAxis View Post
    Nice shooting! I just picked up this rifle for my son for Christmas @ $199! Couldn't pass it up. I also picked up a Burris C4 3-9x40 optic. What base is that you're using on yours? I've been looking for a 1-piece mount like that. I've seen a Leupold at MidWay for $10? Any others out there? Also looking for suggestions on rings.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/154...g-action-matte
    I got the rail from EGW it works great. Looking back I wish I would have went with the 20 MOA rail instead
    http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=1304
    I think the rings are Warene?? Low profile but I cant remember

Basic Member
    Also have Savage in HB and reload for it. At the range today at 100 yards put three in almost the same hole (should have stopped at that point) fired three more and they were about 1/2 or so away from the three shot group - guess I photobombed my best group average 100 yard group was around an inch.

M.RAYVAN
    These are great I got mine in 22-250 sub moa nikon.pro staff 5 4.5-14x44 it is great. is that scope FFP? is it clear ? I here a lot ok pros on it.
    Last edited by M.RAYVAN; 01-04-2016 at 12:55 AM. Reason: adding more

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast