Thread: How much $$$ did you put into your Axis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    rfd12fv
    if i don't swap out to a boyd's, all my tuppeware stocks get the rockite treatment. adds a few pounds - or more, because i put pvc tubes in the butt stock rockite so i can add lead (if needed). for keeping the sealed end tubes from floating out of the liquid rockite, you can see the bases of 230 grain .45acp bullets in the tubes in the pic below.

jasonbaer33
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd12fv View Post
    if i don't swap out to a boyd's, all my tuppeware stocks get the rockite treatment. adds a few pounds - or more, because i put pvc tubes in the butt stock rockite so i can add lead (if needed). for keeping the sealed end tubes from floating out of the liquid rockite, you can see the bases of 230 grain .45acp bullets in the tubes in the pic below.

Does this actually work at keeping the fore grip off the barrel when shooting from a rest or bi-pod?

rfd12fv
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbaer33 View Post
    Does this actually work at keeping the fore grip off the barrel when shooting from a rest or bi-pod?
    rockite is actually a form of very fine grain concrete cement that will cure extremely hard and stiff. as such, when laid and cured into the fore end of a synth stock it will make the entire fore end as stiff and hard as a rock - zero flex. after the rockite cures (about 5 to 20 minutes, depending on how much water was used for its slurry), i float the barrel by running a large dowel wrapped in 100 grit sandpaper into the fore stock channel. this insures that there is a good 1/16" to 1/8" of space between the fore end and the barrel, all the way back to the recoil lug. i allow no contact between the barrel and the stock. i almost always shoot off the bipod. the fore end never touches the barrel before, during, or after the gun goes bang.

this is the maiden voyage first 25 rounds out of the .223 axis hb, all at 200 yards, cleaning the barrel between each of the first 5 rounds, then cleaning after each group of 5 rounds (butch's bore shine on a well fitting patched jag). i had laser bore sighted the rifle and it took 5 rounds to get the group going. the orange dot is 2" in diameter. mueller 8-32x44 sf glass, 14oz trigger, sss single ramp feed. (note that i blanked out the load data in the pic) i am old, i have macular degeneration in my dominant eye, i'm at best just a decent shooter, if i can do this, *anyone* can do lots better ....