Thread: Weaver or picatinny?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Looks like most people use picatinny so that's what I'm going to use. Now I will get my mount and my scope and see what level rings to use

The difference is REALLY muddy here Russ.
    Officially Picatinny only has so many slots, so often, at a certain width of slot. However, many just continue to cut more slots. So "Which" picatinny? :)
    The weaver rails simply have a different spec in terms of slot diameter, they can have slots anywhere. So many of the Vogue picatinny rails are picatinny slots, but modeled after Weaver.

Neither is better or worse. The only time there can become an issue is with certain brands, if you interchange Pic & Weaver. It doesn't always materialize, but as an example:
    Pic rail with Weaver rings. There *COULD* be enough of a tollerance difference to make it so the rings can never seat securely.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    So, this raises an issue ive not heard discussed before. As a rule old (experts) like me just keep their mouth
    shut when informed about things they didnt know. Standing off to the side nodding in agreement like they knew
    is another trait of an expert. Over many years ive used lots of the cheap old Weaver 2 pc bases. As a rule the cheap
    old Weaver rings were used with them also. There were and i suppose still are other brand rings that worked with those bases.
    Now days of coarse Picatinny type bases are very popular and no doubt they can have an advantage in some cases.
    While i dont have any im aware Weaver makes this type base. But i was not aware they should only be used with Weaver rings.
    Which brings up another question. I do have a few sets of the 6 screw weaver tacticle rings and i know others who have them also.
    Mine are used with EGW bases and i dont recall being advised to use (only) certain spec rings. I have been told by others including
    a few good gunsmiths that they considered those rings as junk. But never that they didnt fit the base properly.