Thread: red dot on a 458 wm?

dieselflipper

red dot on a 458 wm?

does anyone have a red dot sight to recommend on a 458 wm that does not cost a bloody fortune? my dad's eyes are not what they used to be for open sights and the rifle loves to kiss you with a scope. Thanks in advance.

Basic Member
    Don't see many questions about 458s on here. I've had my 458 since I was in highschool, ( I was enamored with the idea of slipping through the long grass after Cape buffalo). I have always had good luck with a shotgun scope, it has longer eye relief and has endured lots of punishment throughout the years. It's also a low magnification range which lends itself well to the 458. Sorry, I don't have any experience with Red Dots, but the recoil will probably test anything you bolt to it!

Basic Member
    What is your budget for this scope?
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Stork
    diesel,
    I've no experience with red dots on anything like a 458. That being said, I'm an avid Bullseye shooter and won't consider anything but an Ultra Dot. At last count I've got 9 of them on a variety of target 22's and slide mounted 1911 45's. All 1" tube 4 min dots.

My 45's are all slide mounted dots. That means for every shot the dot has to withstand being slammed back in recoil and slammed forward picking up the next round and not lose zero.

The first one I installed I replaced with a new one after over 32,000 rounds. Not that it quit on me, I was going to the National Matches at Camp Perry in 2007 and just felt nervous about having that many rounds through it and traveling that far. It still is mounted on one of my 22 target pistols and is working just fine. My current one also has over 30,000 rounds through it and I didn't feel nervous at all this year when I went to Perry. My intent is to run this one until it finally does fail.

Another item is parallax. I've tried other brands, Tasco, the newer china made Millets (the Japanese made ones were very good)and the parallax was 6" at 50 yards or they shook to pieces after 100 rds.

I don't know exactly how long the batteries last. I have a bad habit of forgetting to turn them off and leaving them on for several weeks at a time between matches and practicing sessions. I've never worn down a battery as I replace them annually. For a buck & 1/2 it's foolish to wait & have one expire during a match.

As I said, I don't know how well it would stand up to the 458. There's a lot of recoil to deal with. If you give one a try I'd definitely be putting a three ring set up on it.

If you weren't on the other side of the US I'd let you try one of mine, just to see if it would stand up. They've got a lifetime warranty.

Al

dieselflipper
    Had a BSA on it that i had lying around...it lasted exactly 5 rounds. I was hoping to keep the cost under 150 or so.

The Bushnell unit is getting a lot of praise.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I have a "See All" sight that isn't a RedDot, but it would be impervious to recoil. It's a parallax free reflex sight. Truthfully, the jury is still out on this thing for me. It's currently atop my Ruger Mini 14 and it works very well. But it's so different, it takes a while to get used to. I wouldn't hesitate to put it on my 458, as I said its ruggedly tough. (No moving parts, small, compact and relatively light). The one caveat I've found (besides the odd way it works) is that it's hard to see in extreme low light, as it uses no batteries, just ambient light.

dieselflipper
    bluedog - whats a "see all"? sounds interesting.

Basic Member
    Diesel, it's a reflex sight. There is a small lens that magnifies the aiming chevron that is on a piece of fiber optic plastic, the chevron or triangle in this case, is parallax free. So there is no "front sight" or "rear sight" to align, only the triangle. If the triangle is not centered in the lens, it doesn't matter. Wherever the aim point is, is also point of impact. It's weird. It also is made to be used with both eyes open, as the chevron does obstruct the target if you use one eye. I reiterate that this thing is super rugged and would easily withstand any shoulder fired weapon. I don't think it would be good for long range precision, but neither is the 458!

https://seeallopensight.com
    Last edited by BlueDog; 07-17-2015 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.