Thread: Questions about my new rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    rfd12fv
    i use delrin bore rider jags (and brush guides - though i almost never need to use a brush) on a tipton carbon fiber bearing rod, and with a bolt bore guide installed in the rifle. that's about as safe as one can get for both chamber and muzzle. i couple that with butch's bore shine and arsenal and roll patch patches for cleaning out the crud, and it does a great job on any residual copper fouling (read butch's article in the lyman's 49th reload manual). being a delrin jag, there's no false blue/green on the patch one can get from a brass jag. it's important to get a tight fit of jag and patch. once the patching comes out clean, a few to dry and then a wet patch with break free clp and i'm done. fired and deprimed brass gets a 30 minute bath in the hornady 2L ultrasonic and they come out like brand new and ready to be reloaded.

i also use these bore rider jags for my bpcr s/s rifles (black powder .45-70 cartridges, rolling block rifles), only i substitute a water soluble oil/water mix (ballistol) for the fouling cleaner, but still finish up with a wet break free patch. black powder cleaning is far more critical than smokeless, and the bore riders work extremely well. bore rider jags aren't cheap when compared to any other jags, but to me they're worth it many times over. i'd never clean any open breech rifle without using a bore rider. to me, it's literally revolutionized barrel cleaning, and i've been in this firearm game since the early 1950's. nope, no affiliation with the bore rider company nor shilling for 'em - it's just real good stuff and ymmv.

www.boreriderbarrelcareproducts.com
    Last edited by rfd12fv; 07-25-2015 at 06:17 AM.