I recently had a bad experience with Savage. To recap, my rifle would shoot 3 rounds in 1.4 inch groups. If you fired a fourth your now at 3-4 inches. A fifth round would put you out to five+ inches. This was repeated on a rest and by savage themselves. Since the first three out of the gate fell less then 1.5 inches, the gun was considered good to go and savage would not do anything. Loads were tried and several types of powder bulletin combinations did nothing. So I decided to get a new barrel from Mcgowen.

My gunsmith said he could make the old barrel shoot by removing the factory compensator. I told him not to touch it, but just remove the barrel and install the new one. A few days later he called to say he was glad he did not mess with the barrel. Apparently the throat is way to long. He stated the old barrel would have needed to be re chambered. As he described it, there was a huge jump from the chamber to the lands/groves.

The new barrel was installed and passed the checks (go/no go). It does not like to chamber factory ammo, but my reloads are snug.

So now you have read the long story, here are the questions:

What should I do with the old barrel? Should I call savage and mess with it or what? Maybe get them to replace or fix it (new build)?

The new barreled action will not load factory. Should I worry about it since my reloads fit snug maybe (match chambers like this)?
Mcgowen did a beautiful job and I am eager to shoot it but just want to see if I should have the gunsmith look at the new barrel and see why?
Thanks for the advice...