Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10-FCP feed issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb6.5 View Post
    Open the lips in the front of the mag just a little. It will allow the brass to feed up and out a little slower and smoother without poping up as bad. Should fix the problem
    helps, but turns my mag into a 9 shot mag, 10th round pops out the moment you insert the mag into the rifle.

JWPNW
    When I talked to the tech at savage he seemed to think it was very unlikely a mag issue. In fact, I specifically asked about sending in the mag and he said 'not necessary'. I sent it in anyways. I hope they will let me know what was done when it comes back. I did include a note describing the issue and requested for them to let me know what action was taken. We will see if that happens.

just before I sent it off I played around a bit with a Hornady bullet comparator. I was a little surprised to learn that factory rounds are chambering with the bullet well into the lands. Anyone else notice this with thier factory rifle?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JWPNW View Post
    When I talked to the tech at savage he seemed to think it was very unlikely a mag issue. In fact, I specifically asked about sending in the mag and he said 'not necessary'. I sent it in anyways. I hope they will let me know what was done when it comes back. I did include a note describing the issue and requested for them to let me know what action was taken. We will see if that happens.

just before I sent it off I played around a bit with a Hornady bullet comparator. I was a little surprised to learn that factory rounds are chambering with the bullet well into the lands. Anyone else notice this with thier factory rifle?
    i guess this might be a bit early, but did Savage get to your gun yet?(same issue here)

JWPNW
    Funny you should ask. It just arrived yesterday evening.
    So I started looking it over and immediately something looked different. I'm not sure, but I could almost bet it has a different barrel on it.
    i was told there would be a 'invoice' when it returned showing what had been done. There was none. No paperwork whatsoever. Just a shipping label, a box and a rifle.
    I called savage this morning and they tell me they couldn't find anything wrong with it but they did "disassemble, clean and headspace.
    Now why would they do that if there wasn't an issue?

Now, I installed the bolt and immediately notice that it seems a little bit less loose, a fair bit smoother, and most definitely locks and unlocks easier than it did before. Not like a custom rifle or anything, but just better. Loaded up the mag and dry cycled several dozen rounds. I had one round just barely catch out of about 50-60 cycles. BTW, that was with both the factory mag and the dark eagle mag. Both were equally troublesome before.
    I also checked the bullet seat to lands and guess what? Factory seating length no longer touches the lands.
    So not sure what they really did, but it is way better than it was.

Basic Member
    Funny you should ask. It just arrived yesterday evening.
    So I started looking it over and immediately something looked different. I'm not sure, but I could almost bet it has a different barrel on it.
    i was told there would be a 'invoice' when it returned showing what had been done. There was none. No paperwork whatsoever. Just a shipping label, a box and a rifle.
    I called savage this morning and they tell me they couldn't find anything wrong with it but they did "disassemble, clean and headspace.
    Now why would they do that if there wasn't an issue?

Now, I installed the bolt and immediately notice that it seems a little bit less loose, a fair bit smoother, and most definitely locks and unlocks easier than it did before. Not like a custom rifle or anything, but just better. Loaded up the mag and dry cycled several dozen rounds. I had one round just barely catch out of about 50-60 cycles. BTW, that was with both the factory mag and the dark eagle mag. Both were equally troublesome before.
    I also checked the bullet seat to lands and guess what? Factory seating length no longer touches the lands.
    So not sure what they really did, but it is way better than it was.
    "Factory seating length no longer touches the lands" I wonder if they set the barrel a bit further out... No sure if you handload / know your rifle's dimensions well, but it would be interesting to see what the brass tells you, if it expands differently then before (less or more expansion when firing), expecially near the base, then you might indeed have a different barrel.

Well, they took care of you fast, that's good.

Am going to send mine in for the same issues you experienced; it has a real nice tight chamber and is really accurate, despite the tooling marks in the bore at the last half inch of the muzzle, but these feed issues are driving me nuts.
    Last edited by vincent7; 08-06-2015 at 10:17 PM.

Basic Member
    spoke to Savage, gun is going back on Monday... In the meantime i'll just shoot my 223 heavy barrel Axis :)

was it a scope mount screw or action screw?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

JWPNW
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    was it a scope mount screw or action screw?
    Didn't appear to be

JWPNW
    Took it to the range. Note: I think they returned the rifle with a new mag. not a rub mark or scratch on it.

Checking the brass after firing. Head space is very close to the same within .0005~.001 of before. The bullet to land difference is about .030 from previous. 168 BTHP's now set about .020 from the lands now and 175 BTHP are basically touching the lands. significant difference.

Now, gets a little interesting here....at the range i had a couple of rounds hang up toward the end of my session while using the new factory 4 round mag.
    Got home, cleaned the rifle. Dry cycled some more rounds. The factory mag is now repeating the before mentioned hang ups. It's quite bad and gets worse the more i try. it quickly got to the point where every other round hangs up. The Dark Eagle is feeding flawlessly. Not a single hiccup. very smooth. I'm noticing the fact mag spring feels really soft, Kinda mushy.
    The DE spring is much snappier and stronger not to mention the machined aluminum follower which seems to be a 'anti-tilt' design. It's a night and day difference in how the rounds feed. I'm thinking Im going to toss the factory and buy another DE. for a second mag. Will do another range session next week with only the Dark Eagle and see if it exhibits any issues.
    Keep in mind, Before I sent it in, both mags were having the hang up issue, so I feel something definitely changed in the rifle.
    When i first got it back,initially both were working well, but now the factory one has became problematic very quickly. the DE seems to be of good quality and working very well
    Disappointing to have to chase this rabbit on a $1K rifle.
    As far as accuracy, i was able to get some nice three round groups, but 4th and 5th seemed to walk off. Holding off judgement until i get a few more down range and try a couple of different loads. Also, could have just been me not being quite on for the day. another trip or two to the bench will reveal the story there.

Basic Member
    Took it to the range. Note: I think they returned the rifle with a new mag. not a rub mark or scratch on it.

Checking the brass after firing. Head space is very close to the same within .0005~.001 of before. The bullet to land difference is about .030 from previous. 168 BTHP's now set about .020 from the lands now and 175 BTHP are basically touching the lands. significant difference.

Now, gets a little interesting here....at the range i had a couple of rounds hang up toward the end of my session while using the new factory 4 round mag.
    Got home, cleaned the rifle. Dry cycled some more rounds. The factory mag is now repeating the before mentioned hang ups. It's quite bad and gets worse the more i try. it quickly got to the point where every other round hangs up. The Dark Eagle is feeding flawlessly. Not a single hiccup. very smooth. I'm noticing the fact mag spring feels really soft, Kinda mushy.
    The DE spring is much snappier and stronger not to mention the machined aluminum follower which seems to be a 'anti-tilt' design. It's a night and day difference in how the rounds feed. I'm thinking Im going to toss the factory and buy another DE. for a second mag. Will do another range session next week with only the Dark Eagle and see if it exhibits any issues.
    Keep in mind, Before I sent it in, both mags were having the hang up issue, so I feel something definitely changed in the rifle.
    When i first got it back,initially both were working well, but now the factory one has became problematic very quickly. the DE seems to be of good quality and working very well
    Disappointing to have to chase this rabbit on a $1K rifle.
    As far as accuracy, i was able to get some nice three round groups, but 4th and 5th seemed to walk off. Holding off judgement until i get a few more down range and try a couple of different loads. Also, could have just been me not being quite on for the day. another trip or two to the bench will reveal the story there.
    So the headspace stayed about the same, but your throat got longer / shorter? That makes no sense to me, unless they installed another barrel.(?)

JWPNW
    vincent. Please report when yours gets back. Will be curious of the results.

Basic Member
    vincent. Please report when yours gets back. Will be curious of the results.
    Will do, gun should land at Savage this coming Monday. Any luck with yours?

Basic Member
    Got her back... action cleaned, then test fired by Savage.

Got the same barrel / action back, they did touch up / work on that dent in the fluting, but it still has that darn feed issue when the bolt is operated quickly, and / or when chambering a round while using more then 1 finger on the bolt knob. It needs to be baby-fed with just a thumb. 9 rounds is all the mag takes reliably.

I can live with 9 rounds, but these feed issues flippin' suck. If it werent so darn accurate i would have gotten rid of it one way or the other.

No more new model Savage rifles for me till i see troublefree guns and mags.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12