Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
Agreed, and that would be why I would not expect it and never said I did. I would also not expect it to take a custom stock-maker to machine a barrel channel in a blank correctly, and to not drill a hole where it doesn't belong, especially since they have been cranking these things out for years...which is a definite production advantage over custom work.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Boyd's offers a product that serves me well as a good start to a pretty decent rifle. I have bought and passed along dozens and I have never been disappointed in any of them. For basic, no frills hunting purposes, most of them come out of the box just fine. Some need tweaking here and there. I fully expect to have to pillar and bed them for any kind of reliable target shooting and am glad to do it myself. I hope they continue to make their products as inexpensively as they do now and not worry about an occasional product coming off the line a bit "off". I am sure they know HOW to build them better, they choose not to pay what it costs to make sure they are all (or any, for that matter) of a higher quality and precision that I expect for a finished product. The fact is , I don't consider them finished, and I am glad of it.

My guess is many a skilled gunsmith/stock maker resents them and wishes they'd go out of business.