Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why not a .264 wm

jjgomez

why not a .264 wm

hello all been a member for a while but hardly post but after reading seems a lot of people are going to the smaller .264 calibers
    so my question is, why not the 264 win mag. i almost finished my 110 .264 ,also finished my 110 257 weatherby last year
    yes I know more efficient but besides that what is every ones opinion on this. don't want to start anything but .........love to hear yalls opinions
    thanks james

I would say mostly it has to do with the availability of quality Lapua and/or Norma brass.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

You can get 264WM brass from Nosler and Norma They are up there in quality, or even use 270 and 257 Weatherby brass just resize and trim.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

6.5-06 Ackley can do the same thing and use less powder to do it. I am all about efficiency and why I went this route. 59.0gr of H4831 and a 140 Berger at 3100+ is a beautiful thing.

Basic Member
    Simple answer for me. I have no need of a 264wm or any other magnum. I live it the east, but if I lived out west it might be a different story. Or even if I hunted over Carolina bean fields, I may find a need for one. But even then, I think I would start with a 6.5 RSAUM. I just like short actions.

In 2008, I built a 260Rem, but last fall I built a 6.5 Grendel. The Grendel fills my needs for shooting and hunting out to 300yds, providing great accuracy and efficiency. JMHO :-)

Basic Member
    Many are using the 6.5 calibers for tactical style shooting matches. The Win mag barrel probably would not last one season.

hookahbruthaup
    6.5-284 stole some of the thunder in more recent years. Otherwise, the 7mm Rem Mag is just fine and has a tiny bit longer barrel life, all else being equal.

6.5Nut
    what are your best Grendel loads , just completed one , hornady 123 ssts seem to be the gold standard but not very good in mine , 1in. moa.

jjgomez
    Thanks guys for replys.i only shoot for fun no matches or anything like that but like to shoot long. So keep your replys coming I would like here them, this is my first 6.5 I just figured that start with a magnum case an work from there instead of using a smaller capacity to play around with thanks james

Basic Member
    6.5Nut- My best load so far is 120grn NBT, 28.5grns 8208, Hornady Cases, CCI 400 Primers, .020" off the lands.
    Shots 11 thru 15 down the barrel went into .640" off the hood of my truck. :-)

jjgomez- if can and like to go long, go for it. :-) Please let us know how your shoulder, jaw, and barrel hold up! :-)

Good Shooting ... Jim :-)

Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    6.5-06 Ackley can do the same thing and use less powder to do it. I am all about efficiency and why I went this route. 59.0gr of H4831 and a 140 Berger at 3100+ is a beautiful thing.
    Can I get an AMEN?!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Because sexy sells, and the WM has never had that.
    I shoot to a mile with a couple different chamberings, both of which cross trans-sonic long before that. "Awesomeness" trumps skill with most shooters. I built one years ago. I'm more of a practical shooter, and the extra speed doesn't actually "help" anything, so why torch throats for no gain in my end goal.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Ignore everything that you have read prior to this, take it from me this is what you need 142s @4000+

[IMG][/IMG]

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    I "knew" it was coming! :-)

Basic Member
    There are just so many other calibers that do "it" better, and I think that's the primary reason that the .264 never really took off.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Luke45
    dean you should try some 107 SMK out of that thing, 4500 fps with a bc of .45 would basically be sight in 3" high at 100 and hold dead on out to 500 LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    dean you should try some 107 SMK out of that thing, 4500 fps with a bc of .45 would basically be sight in 3" high at 100 and hold dead on out to 500 LOL
    That is my go to bullet for that barrel, and it is 4500+ how much + I will not say you would not believe me.

Dean

jjgomez
    Wow how did we get to efficient cartridge to not efficient to dam I want one of those ,6.5 RUM lol

Stomp442 an Robinhood how can shooting once to get what you want a 6.5-06 how is that efficient ?

CW Conch I can also down load so I can save my shoulder an jaw it shouldn't be that bad in a 11lb gun an barrel an a good cleaning regiment should do a barrel good

Keep it coming like what I'm reading.now I'm thinking about a 6.5rum or Evan 6.5-300 Weatherby

Thanks james

Keep it coming guys

jjgomez
    Hey scope eye is that your first 6.5rum or your 2nd barrel....lol, how many firing do you think you can get out of it?
    Thanks james

My 6.5 WSM is a blast and gets the job done that is an option, at one point I also had a 6.5-300 win mag that was up there on the nasty scale, I sold it in a moment of weakness, I was going to replace it but went the RUM route instead.

Dean

PS: I really don't know how many firings I get I don't keep track, I just have them "set back" also known as re throated, and they are as good as new even better some times. I do know they make my 223s seem like a Daisy Red Rider when I switch over from one to they other.LOL
    Last edited by scope eye; 06-24-2015 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jjgomez View Post
    Wow how did we get to efficient cartridge to not efficient to dam I want one of those ,6.5 RUM lol

Stomp442 an Robinhood how can shooting once to get what you want a 6.5-06 how is that efficient ?
    I guess I don't understand your question it's early. If you are talking about fire forming it's really no different than any other new gun. Chances are when you get a new barrel regardless of the caliber you do a little break in right. Well, when owning an ackley you break in and fire form at the same time. Kill two birds with one stone and every time you clean you can fire form a few more to foul the barrel back in. Another great thing is you can get great accuracy when fire forming as well and are able to hunt or even target shoot with the parent cartridge. I was fouling in my .260 Ackley and fire forming last weekend and I was able to put 10 rounds in less than 4 inches at 500 meters. The other thing I mean about efficiency is the fact that my 6.5-06AI achieves 3100+ fps using 59 grains of powder and 140gr bullets, the .264WM will be up around 65-67 grains of powder to achieve those velocities.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure the 6.5X55 Swede is the most efficient of the 6.5s

Dean

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure the 6.5X55 Swede is the most efficient of the 6.5s

Dean
    ^^^ agreed. between 2950-3000 fps with 45-48 gr of powder and a 140 amax for me. eat turds creedmore crowd

Speer use to make some 87gr HPs that were .263 Dia instead of .264, I wish I could get my hands on some more, but they have not made them in a long time.

Dean

Basic Member
    Geo metro got 52 miles per gallon, but only had 55 horsepower. Just depends on what kind of performance ya want. Just sayin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.