Thread: A big surprise from my 300's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Your experience with the accuracy and power of good old fashioned hunting Savages mimics my own. Find a good hand load and you're good to go.
    I see posts all over the internet by a lot of guys who spend too much time sweating the barrel length on rifles such as the 116 Bear Hunter in 300WM convinced they need a 26" tube or a heavy barrel or a dozen other things because of what they have read. They are scared to buy one because it doesn't have some magic combination they read about online. Maybe if they'd spend a little more time shooting and a little less time on charts, graphs and internet lore they would find out just what a quality modern hunting rifle is capable of. Though I enjoy tinkering my Savages as much as the next guy I haven't found one yet that wont respond to the right hand load.
    My go to favorite is an old flatback 116FLCSAK in .30-06 just as it came from the factory (trigger adjustment only) that always turns heads with tiny groups and the ability to produce a .30 hole exactly where the crosshairs were when the trigger was pulled. Followed closely in favor by an astoundingly accurate 22" sporter 110 in 25-06 with a rattlecan camo stock.
    Good luck with your long range hunting rifle endeavors. :)
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Your experience with the accuracy and power of good old fashioned hunting Savages mimics my own. Find a good hand load and you're good to go.
    I see posts all over the internet by a lot of guys who spend too much time sweating the barrel length on rifles such as the 116 Bear Hunter in 300WM convinced they need a 26" tube or a heavy barrel or a dozen other things because of what they have read. They are scared to buy one because it doesn't have some magic combination they read about online. Maybe if they'd spend a little more time shooting and a little less time on charts, graphs and internet lore they would find out just what a quality modern hunting rifle is capable of. Though I enjoy tinkering my Savages as much as the next guy I haven't found one yet that wont respond to the right hand load.
    My go to favorite is an old flatback 116FLCSAK in .30-06 just as it came from the factory (trigger adjustment only) that always turns heads with tiny groups and the ability to produce a .30 hole exactly where the crosshairs were when the trigger was pulled. Followed closely in favor by an astoundingly accurate 22" sporter 110 in 25-06 with a rattlecan camo stock.
    Good luck with your long range hunting rifle endeavors. :)
    Spoken Well