I bought a Trophy Hunter XP in 7mm08 because I wanted a deer rifle with a detachable box magazine in a sub .308 short action. I took off the factory Weaver mounts and re-installed the package Nikon scope with Talley medium height mounts, then bore-sighted the scope at home.

I went to the range to break-in the barrel and maybe start checking for groups and what ammo she likes. I cleaned the barrel after each shot for the first 10 rounds, then cleaned it after every five rounds. After around 20 rounds I started trying to shoot for groups with various brands/types of ammo, starting with Rem CoreLokt 140gr. My first few groups were big (~5"), but only around 8" low and 3" to the right of the bull. I was able to dial in after only two groups. As I tried different ammo and practiced more, the groups shrank to around 3", and then 1.5" with Federal 140gr and Winchester 140gr. All the ammo I had was 140gr.

I am sure that the large groups were due to shooter error, and not the rifle (I do not get much range time). I had the range officer try her out with the Federal and he shot a 1.5" three round group, with the first two rounds touching. He told me that normally a rifle settles down and starts shooting decent groups after ~200 rounds. All in all, I think she'll be a decent shooter after she is fully broken in, I figure out what ammo she really likes and I practice more.

What bothers me is that when shooting live rounds, the trigger pull feels heavy and gritty - as though the sear was not polished. I had a few fliers because I really had to pull hard on the trigger. When I dry fire the rifle, however, the trigger feels light and crisp. Is this normal for Savage rifles? The bolt took a little effort to cycle after a couple rounds; could the head space be off a touch? I have a Vanguard S2 with the two stage trigger that breaks like glass whether there is is a round in it or not. Your thoughts?

On a different note, to those who have a TH XP in 7mm08, what ammo and bullet weight does yours like?

Thanks,

Joe