Thread: savage 25 missing parts (feed issues)

bcone

savage 25 missing parts (feed issues)

I went to a swap meet at the range and managed to pick up two "rusty old 22's". A Model 25 and a 1903. They are mostly complete. I'm working on assembling the Model 25 I have all the parts except for the magazine (of course) and the mag tube internals (guessing a universal will fit from Brownells) but it seems like there are a few parts that should assist the shell into the chamber. I have looked at gun parts co and the list a lifter and spring. The lifter is available . #1 Are these the correct parts? and #2 can someone post a picture of this assembly. If I know what it looks like I can make them on the mill if I can't find the rest of the parts.
    I have searched and searched and found my way here. Hopefully I'll get this up and running. I plan to put some nice walnut on it (wood is gone). The 1903 will be a bit more work, missing more parts. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bcone; 05-24-2015 at 12:45 PM.

Basic Member
    Some quick notes on the 25 -

The parts shown @ Gunparts are correct. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...731.htm?page=1

The lifter assembly consist of parts 41 thru 47 and is held in the receiver by the take-down screw bushing (not listed) - I didn't know if you need just some of these parts or all of them - I don't think it's feasible to make the carrier, part #47. The 25 is basically an improved 1914 and works the same, the lifter/carrier assembly is operated by slots milled into the slide arm and there is not much depth to the cuts and not much metal left between the slots making this part prone to damage so that should be checked.

The magazine's for Savage pumps are not a standard size and the one for the 25 is unique to it. The outer tube is reduced in diameter on the end that slips into the receiver so it's ID matches the ID of the inner magazine tube, the means the inner tube has to stop short of this point requiring a very long follower to extend out far enough to push the last cartridge far enough into the receiver - the pictures show this but the inner & outer tube are pictured going opposite directions. The magazine is held on by a small screw and a ring. The screw is an odd size, I think a #5 and I think the same as for the later Model 29's which are available from other sources. The magazine ring is just a spring steel circular piece with two ears that clip into two angled slots milled in the barrel. There are at least two different version of these, the early 1914 ones held the magazine tube tight to the barrel & the later ones for the 1914 & 25 spaced it slightly away.

Here are some old pictures that show some of the internals, first is just a 25 and the next a 1914 and a 25 -

bcone
    Thanks for the reply. It would appear that what I have is Model 1914 and Model 25 Upper receivers and two 1914 Lowers or Trigger guards. Any possibility of obtaining a carrier somewhere else? Or a good picture of one all by itself. I have hand cut and copied parts before. Time consuming but to bring life into these old thins is my bliss. It seems that the 1914 is the more complete rifle. That one is only missing the tube guide rod and stop. It has the original clip magazine.
    Last edited by bcone; 05-25-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Basic Member
    The 1914 is tube fed, I think your other gun is a 1903 as you mentioned ion your first post - they just had a rod to guide the forearm & slidearm.

bcone
    Sorry my mistake on the model yes 1903. Any thoughts on the rest of that post?

Try the Rimfire Central web site.