Thread: total newbie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    chiefblackbeard
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Good plan but ace the dry firing and just go shoot. Id personaly ace the breakin also.
    Dry firing is good practice for position shooting where there is always a certain ammount
    of movement. Cordination is much more important than with bench shooting there, especially the offhand position.
    The 6 br would be a good choice and will allow for target shooting to 1000 yds when you chose to do so.
    Look for reasons to enjoy what your doing other than being the best there is.
    from what I've heard, 1/2 moa is very far from the best there is.
    It might sound like I care only about tightening the group, but I love making every shot. however until they make a way to transmit feelings, we are stuck with discussing tools and tricks of the trade.
    The primary reason I am so stuck up on getting to 1/2 is that I want to play the long range game which includes a lot of other variables. So I want to get my skill to the point where I can confidently troubleshoot at long range without doubting my skill.

Basic Member
    I think your on the correct path to get started on the goal youve set for yourself.
    If your serious about long range target shooting, the best shortcut would be to go
    visit places where that activity is taken very seriously. At least visit the websites of
    the various clubs involved in that. Check out the equiptment list of the winning competetors.
    You will start to see patterns as to who'es who among gun builders as well as the winning cartridges etc.
    Williamsport has a good site known as (the original 1000 yd benchrest club)
    The season has just gotten underway so follow guys like Matt Klien, Frank Weber, Scott weber, Mark King,
    to see just how well some of the best shooters do at each match.
    Also be prepared to learn that in todays world being a very good shooter might not be enough.

zdiddy0313
    I like dot drills, group shooting drives me nuts and the 5th shot always came with anticipation and ended in failure. 1/2 circles, a bunch of them and shoot them, eventually you will be timing yourself on how fast it takes. Practice makes better, is my best advise.