Thread: Savage + Criterion = another junkie

BowNut

Savage + Criterion = another junkie

Finally got it finished...for now. Between work, weather, honey do's and grandbaby, its been on the back burner....well, those reasons and I keep getting more to play with http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/o...psuyltuk8r.jpg[/IMG] Started as 12 BVSS in 223. Scope is Vortex 6.5-20x50. Replaced stock with a Bobby Hart from Stocky's, (old stock is replacing the tupperware on a 12FV in 22-250, which grouped 5 shots .340 using Hornady Varmint ammo first time out on range! So much for my new 6mm 'donor' action...gotta buy another one..) The barrel is 26" 223 varmint contour 9 twist from Criterion. Buffed the OD to take some glare off. This thing cleans up FAST! Jim Briggs was fantastic to deal with and will be getting another call soon. THANK YOU!!
    Did my first true work up on OCW loads today, 69g SMK, Varget, CCI400...WOW...EVERY GROUP WAS UNDER MOA !!! Ran same loads except Rem 7-1/2 primers and they were same way! http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps8f8rnoii.jpg[/IMG] Now to pick a load and start tuning the seating depths.......too many choices.
    Once I get a good load worked up, I plan to run a fouling test to see where the accuracy starts changing. First shot from cleaned bore is always about 1 inch left, number two through 20 don't seem to change L to R.
    First time in my 50 years I've done more than clean or change sights on a gun. now I'm swapping barrels, stocks, bolts...reloading...**** this disease is fun. I even let the guy at the LGS borrow my action wrench and barrel nut wrench to use on his!!! should be some discounts headed my way......

Basic Member
    Sounds like your having a blast

BowNut
    Yessir. 30 yards out back door to bench, getting the reloading room set up...and looking for the next one. Spent last five years working away from home...time for catching up.

Where in Pa are you?
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

BowNut
    I'm back in Oklahoma now. just updated profile. I was working in Canton, north of Williamsport for last five years.

Basic Member
    Awesome groups and a great looking gun!! <.5 MOA first go around...Congrats..
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250