For years I wanted to get a bolt action .223, but when I finally did, I was very disappointed to find out that, unlike years ago, most of them come without open sights. I certainly do realize that most people use scopes with bolt action rifles, so I understand why they are sold the way they are. I hadn't done a ton of research before purchasing the Axis, so I didn't know that there still are a couple out there, including one from Savage (11/111 Hog Hunter), that still come with open sights installed.

I called Savage the other day to ask some info about my Axis, and just before finishing the call, on a whim, I asked if they can install sights on the Axis rifles. To my surprise, he said they do, and he couldn't give me an exact number, but he said it would be around $125, and that includes both the sights themselves, and the installation. They, of course, also check them afterward to make sure they are put on correctly and accurately. I'm ecstatic, to say the least. I'm so glad that I don't have to either buy a new rifle with the sights installed, or pay some gun shop to install them for some ridiculously overpriced amount.

I just figured I would share this info in case any other people out there ever felt like they wanted them installed on their Axis rifles, thought it's probably not many. I've used open sights on rifles for my entire rifle using life, and I'm not particularly fond of scopes. For any of you that know me, you know that I like open sights so much that I actually bought and installed a red dot sight on this rifle. Yes, a red dot sight on a bolt action rifle. Absolutely ridiculous, of course, but it was the closest I could get to open sights without having them installed. And I certainly do realize that this will cause some uncontrollable laughter in some of you, but I accept that. For me, it's still much more enjoyable than a scope.

I can still hit a bottle cap with my Marlin 25N .22LR at 75 yards with open sights and once in a blue moon at 100 (though it's a VERY lucky shot). I can't imagine what the Axis will be like once I get those sights installed.

Again, I just figured I would share this info in case anyone else ever wondering if Savage would do such work on an Axis.