Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
Reason they couldn't do the new Scout style front sight is because it appears that there is a small step-up in the barrel diameter where it mounts. Either that or there's a bushing/spacer of some sort between the barrel and the sight.
I was wondering that, but I figured it was more due to the rear sight than the front one. To be honest, I was a little surprised that they could mount the type that is on the Hog Hunter. The Axis has a pretty narrow barrel and I was surprised that it was thick enough to be able to screw mount the sight. I'm certainly glad they can. I have to wait until late this month or the beginning of August to send it in. I can't wait. I did find out that the price the first guy told me was a little low, at $125, but the real price, being $150, isn't that much more, so it will still be a pretty decent deal. And I would much rather have them do it than my LGS. Once it's finished, it will be the rifle I wish I had found in the first place.

And something that's sort of ironic. Before I bought the Axis, I had done some casual perusing and couldn't find any bolt action .223s with iron sights. I only found them afterward. Had I found them before, I may have saved up and bought one of them, but I now realize that I may have regretted it afterward due to the fact that they all have considerably shorter barrels. So, due to my lack of diligent searching, I made a mistake that actually benefits my taste. I'd much rather have this rifle, with it's 22" barrel, and need to have sights installed, than having one with the sights already installed, but with only a 16" barrel. And yes, I know the Hog Hunter has a 20" barrel, which isn't that much of a difference, but it's green, which is a no go (I'm telling myself that so I don't somewhat regret not having bought the Hog Hunter (which I really do)).