I have a Model 10 .223 that has been giving me fits all winter trying to unlock the secret to accuracy. I have finally decided that the barrel is a piece of crap. I've tried factory loads, target loads, numerous hand loads and every combination you can think of related to bullet weight, type, powder charge, seating depth etc. If I get a good group one time I will celebrate and think that I've finally found what the rifle likes only to have reality handed to me the very next time I go to the range with duplicated loads. Yes, it has been frustrating. I even began to doubt my ability to shoot well until I went with a friend who let me shoot his rifles and I stacked bullets into tighter holes than he did with his own guns. Confidence restored. Back to the barrel.

Now I'm thinking about changing the barrel from the light 22 inch sporter to a 26 inch varmint barrel. My hesitation is if the two screw action in the walnut stock will support it and whether I can open up the barrel channel in the stock enough for the larger diameter barrel to fit. So, does anyone have experience with this combination of barrel changes and if so what were the results?

Thanks
Idaho