Thread: model 10 barrel advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teebirdhyzer View Post
    You did good ordering a nice new barrel. I have learned over the last several years that If I can't get a barrel to shoot with a reasonable amount of trial and error (reasonable is a relative term) I will get rid of it and either find another used one, or order a new one! Barrels are cheaper than spending tons of money developing tons of loads that may or may not shoot, and then spending money on gas to and from the range. Plus I get so frustrated and pissed when I can't make one shoot, that it just isn't worth it. Good luck with your barrel! I'm betting It will shoot pretty much anything you feed it.
    As you say, trial and error is frustrating and expensive. When I came to that conclusion I ordered the new barrel. I hope you are correct. Notice came in my email today that the barrel is finished. They just need final payment and it will be on the way. Now, I'm researching new barrel nuts and recoil lugs. Very soon I will know if the new barrel will shoot.

Basic Member
    Update. Gunsmith has the barrel mounted on the action with the new barrel lug installed. He had to make room in the stock for the new lug because it is bigger than the stock lug so the action is curing in the stock in new bedding material. He still needs to open up the barrel channel a little more and put everything back together. He only works on Friday so it may still be a week before I get the rifle back.